MAD suspension

mrp62 replied on 21/09/2017 09:53

Posted on 21/09/2017 09:53

Morning all

I have a vw tiguan with a tiptronic gearbox . I tow a 2016 affinty 554 1500 kg . I have taken the tig to a public weigh bridge and with me and 2/3 of our camping equipment it returned a weight of 1916 kg . So i am happy with the match. The towbar weight for the tig is 100 kg . According to the tow car web page the ideal is 80 kg . Apart from the 2 x 6kg calor lite cannisters everthing else is removed from the front locker when travelling. The tow bar weight is showing 85 kg , 15 kg under the maximum. 

The reat suspension is compressed more than i would like . I am considering fitting MAD suspension assisters. The springs that go inside  the vw springs.

Does anyone have any experience such tning particularly on vw tiguan ?

Lutz replied on 21/09/2017 11:18

Posted on 21/09/2017 11:18

You say that the rear suspension is compressed more than you would like. Are you having problems because of that? Is the suspension bottoming out earlier than expected? If not why do you want to change anything? The car has been designed to carry the maximum rear axle load specified by the manufacturer and you are apparently not exceeding that so it would seem an unnecessary move unless you are having problems.

GodivaNige replied on 25/09/2017 23:17

Posted on 25/09/2017 23:17

I would have thought the Tig has a fairly hard ride as it is, without adding more spring capacity to the rear. Tigs are well know for having a reasonably hard ride, have you not found this with yours?

Even with a well loaded car and 85kg pushing down on your Towbar, I’d find it very hard to believe you are experiencing any bottoming out of your suspension, sure it’ll feel different to drive, but not much different to carrying 4 adults plus driver I wouldn’t have thought.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook