MAD Progressive Springs for sagging suspension

Del Sandy replied on 06/02/2018 18:00

Posted on 06/02/2018 18:00

Hi All, I bought my 2014 2.0 KX-4 AWD Sportage as a Tow car as they had good reviews.

My first choice was a Hyundai Santa Fe as it had self levelling suspension (7 seater) but my wife found it to big to drive!

However I have recently read that the Sportage rear coil springs are not very strong and sag during towing and perhaps worse on the 2014 update (more ride comfort usually means weaker springs!). The main reason for getting stopped whilst towing.

I do not want to put the rubber spring assisters between the coils as this loads up only part of the coil length and the best way of cracking a spring.

I like the MAD helper springs which go inside the original springs without removing them, just remove the lower shock absorber bolt then jack up, screw the helper spring into the middle of the original spring.

As the spring is progressive it will hardly be noticed during normal driving but will prevent sagging.

If the main concern is the warranty, I can easily take these off, then put back afterwards.

Has anybody thoughts / got experience of these springs, I would like your opinions

I have already considered changing the wife but that does not appear to be an option!

Cheers

Derek

JVB66 replied on 06/02/2018 18:46

Posted on 06/02/2018 18:46

First time any one i have heard of with soft rear suspension on a Sportage,have you had the c/van on to try it,we have 63 reg and do not notice "sag" when towing our 1300kg Bailey, and they are renowned for high nose weights,our friends have a Sorrento (santa fe in all but name) and it is not much bigger than our sportage,

Ps the 1.7 sportage has 2wd and different rear suspension

replied on 07/02/2018 12:34

Posted on 07/02/2018 12:34

I have already considered changing the wife but that does not appear to be an option!

It is an option, but can be more expensive than uprated springs I hear.

Scottie2 replied on 18/02/2018 20:48

Posted on 06/02/2018 18:00 by Del Sandy

Hi All, I bought my 2014 2.0 KX-4 AWD Sportage as a Tow car as they had good reviews.

My first choice was a Hyundai Santa Fe as it had self levelling suspension (7 seater) but my wife found it to big to drive!

However I have recently read that the Sportage rear coil springs are not very strong and sag during towing and perhaps worse on the 2014 update (more ride comfort usually means weaker springs!). The main reason for getting stopped whilst towing.

I do not want to put the rubber spring assisters between the coils as this loads up only part of the coil length and the best way of cracking a spring.

I like the MAD helper springs which go inside the original springs without removing them, just remove the lower shock absorber bolt then jack up, screw the helper spring into the middle of the original spring.

As the spring is progressive it will hardly be noticed during normal driving but will prevent sagging.

If the main concern is the warranty, I can easily take these off, then put back afterwards.

Has anybody thoughts / got experience of these springs, I would like your opinions

Cheers

Derek

Posted on 18/02/2018 20:48

Hi Del Sandy, Some year’s ago I had a Granda and the rear suspension was needing beefed up....I contacted a company called Larkspeed (they are still on the internet under Larkspeed suspension systems)...Bought a pair of air adjustable rear shock absorbers....Nylon piping (very small bore) once connected to the shocks, terminated in the boot of the car and a inflation/deflation valve and pressure gauge neatly fitted....Trial and error then found what gave a level ride and rear end support.....Pumped up on a Friday before hitching up and deflate on arrival home...If on a site for more than a day or two I deflated the units until I was ready to move on the inflated again.....The gauge was accurate and only took couple of minutes to do....I bought the goods complete kit and my local garage fitted the whole set up very reasonably.

watto64 replied on 19/05/2018 20:57

Posted on 19/05/2018 20:57

hi

we have just fitted MAD springs to our 2017 Santa Fe and it is made a lot of difference towing and solo. no more saggy bottom or lurching.

Now before or the experts start spouting about nose weights, loading etc our last 2011 Santa Fe was loaded exactly the same with the same loading in the caravan and did not sag anywhere near as much.

cost 150 for the springs and 100 to fit at a local garage and no additional premium on our insurance.

all in all very pleased with the final result.

EmilysDad replied on 19/05/2018 22:03

Posted on 19/05/2018 20:57 by watto64

hi

we have just fitted MAD springs to our 2017 Santa Fe and it is made a lot of difference towing and solo. no more saggy bottom or lurching.

Now before or the experts start spouting about nose weights, loading etc our last 2011 Santa Fe was loaded exactly the same with the same loading in the caravan and did not sag anywhere near as much.

cost 150 for the springs and 100 to fit at a local garage and no additional premium on our insurance.

all in all very pleased with the final result.

Posted on 19/05/2018 22:03

..... and no one wants a saggy bottom innocent

Lutz replied on 20/05/2018 07:54

Posted on 19/05/2018 22:03 by EmilysDad

..... and no one wants a saggy bottom innocent

Posted on 20/05/2018 07:54

On the other hand, so long as it doesn't give you any problems such as the bottom getting a hard thump from hitting a bump, so what?

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook