Hyundai Tucson 2005 opinions on use as a towcar

tredegarboy replied on 23/03/2018 20:34

Posted on 23/03/2018 20:34

Going to look at a Hyundai Tucson 2005/05 2.0 l CRDT CDX  FOUR WHEEL drive tomorrow.I have done a match for my caravan with the CARAVAN/motorhome dept and is a good match.It is also an automatic and would like any members and experiences on this vehicle before I decide on purchase.I am unsure if it is fitted with an oil cooler as standard and will check with dealer.How popoular are they as a towcar and how do they perform

lornalou1 replied on 24/03/2018 12:32

Posted on 24/03/2018 12:32

13 years old. get a qualified mechanic to check it over. how highs the mileage. what's the service record like. at the end of the day, it's your cash to part with.

Coltheox replied on 30/03/2018 17:17

Posted on 30/03/2018 17:17

With a car of that age, it will come down to mileage, and how it has been looked after. Regular servicing is a must, and you must look closely at the service book.

I believe that they have a timing belt, which should be changed, I believe, at 60,000 or six years. This means it should have had two timing belt changes - and they are essential! If the belt breaks, you are looking at a really big bill.

Any doubt about that, walk away - or get a new one fitted as part of the deal.

If it's a diesel, and I am making an assumption that it is, and all the above is fine, then it should last you many years yet with regular servicing.

hastghyll replied on 30/03/2018 21:25

Posted on 30/03/2018 21:25

I can't help you with the exact car but I used to tow with its sister a Kia Sportage. Mine was a 56 plate which was when the car was upgraded to 130bhp and a 6 speed manual box, not sure about the auto. Prior to that I believe they were only 105 bhp. Depends what you want to tow whether that's enough. Mine was OK towing my Sterling Eccles Onyx at 1450 kg. I used it for 4.5 years until someone drove into the back of me with a truck and shortened the offside corner by 18 inches. It's a solidly built vehicle, we walked away although with whiplash. Fuel consumption was nothing like the manufacturer figures, about 32 solo. 

hastghyll replied on 30/03/2018 21:41

Posted on 30/03/2018 21:41

I forgot to mention mine was Euro IV and I think the earlier one was Euro III. Worth bearing in mind if you plan on going anywhere they have or are planning to introduce low emission zones. You could end up paying a lot of money.

Frank Gill replied on 30/03/2018 23:35

Posted on 30/03/2018 23:35

We have the manual version and tow a swift Coastline 550 with no problems. Came with a full service history and for age of the car a low mileage. Found it more comfortable than a Freelander and for us better towing capacity than the X-Trail. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook