Hyudai Santa Fe: auto v manual noseweight

Bazlid replied on 08/02/2012 22:16

Posted on 08/02/2012 22:16

Hi
Afraid this will be a long post but it may help other members regarding the lower noseweight on auto versions of the SF. Below is a lengthy e-mail string which occurred between Hyundai and me regarding the lower noseweight on autos and why this is the case.

Your thoughts would be very much appreciated especially regarding my logic for when the full 100kg may be used

Regards

Barry

Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2012 8:43 PM
To:customer.query@hyundai-car.co.uk
Subject: Noseweight limit

Hi
I have a 2010 Santa Fe (5 seat) auto Premium. I understand that the noseweight is 80kg on this car. What I can’t understand is why the noseweight on the manual version of my car is 100kg.
I know that the towing limit on the auto is 2000kg and that of the manual is 2500kg – which makes sense in terms of strain on the gearbox. However the difference in noseweight leaves me mystified as presumably the towbar (I have a dealer fitted towbar) and where and how it is fixed to my vehicle is the same as for the manual version.
The Caravan Club recommends aiming for about 7% of the weight of a caravan as a guide for getting the caravan noseweight correct. That means, obviously, that the 2000kg limit of the auto version would result in a noseweight of 140kg – clearly way above the towball limit. This somewhat negates the benefit of having a 2000kg limit. Effectively the towing limit of the auto version is about 1142kg if we follow the Caravan Club logic - 1142 x 7%=79.94kg
Would you mind explaining the reasons behind the reduced noseweight limit on the auto version of the Santa Fe please.

Many thanks
Barry

Sent: Friday, February 03, 2012 11:13 AM
To: Barry Graham
Subject: RE: Noseweight limit

Dear Mr Graham
Thank you for your email.
We are unable to endorse what the caravan club recommends we can only advise on the weights that Hyundai have recommended.
I have spoken to our technical team and the actual weights are as follows.
Max Tow Weight 2500KG for a manual - 2000KG for a automatic - maximum nose weight for the Manual is 100KG and 80KG for the Automatic. the reason for the difference is that the automatic gearbox is heavier than the manual gearbox.
In closing Mr Graham I do hope this has answered your enquiry.

Kind Regards
Julia Lucas
Hyundai Customer Services

Sent: 03 February 2012 13:34
To: Customer Query
Subject: Re: Noseweight limit

Hi Julia,
Thanks for the response. I still don’t understand how a heavier gearbox affects the weight that can be applied to the towbar.
I understand that the auto tows less weight than the manual because of the differences in the gearboxes but surely the towbar is fitted in exactly the same way to both the manual and auto versions of the car. This is why the difference in noseweight allowance mystifies me somewhat.
A more technical explanation would be very welcome.

Regards
Barry

Sent: Monday, February 06, 2012 11:45 AM
T0 BarryGraham
Subject: RE: Noseweight limit
Hi Barry
I hope you had a good weekend and didn't get stuck in the snow.
I have asked the question for you the reason the automatic gearbox makes such a difference. ( There is a maximum loaded weight to every vehicle, GVW, therefore with the additional weight of the automatic gearbox over the manual, the loading of the trailer has to take this into consideration.) any loading onto the towbar is basically increasing the gross vehicle weight. I hope this answers your enquiry.

Kind Regards
Julia

Sent: 06 February 2012 13:09
To: Customer Query
Subject: Re: Noseweight limit

Hi Julia,
No snow where we live – happily.
I think I understand the reason for the difference now. I presume, therefore, that if my car isn’t fully loaded with 5 passengers and associated luggage (which it never is) that there is leeway within the GVW for the noseweight to be increased to 100kg (same as the manual).
What I’m trying to say is – if my car is 20kg lighter than GVW prior to hitching my caravan to it then surely I should be able to use the 100kg limit of the Witter towbar as the GVW of my car will still be under the permitted limit.
Hope you understand my point/question and thank you very much for your continued help on this matter.

Best wishes
Barry

Hi Barry
I understand logistically where you are coming from, however as you can appreciate I am unable to comment as to whether you can use the additional 20 KG GVW I can only advise you of the weights it specifies on the vehicles indorsed by Hyundai.
Thank you once again and I hope this clarifies your enquiry

Kind Regards
Julia

replied on 16/03/2020 13:52

Posted on 16/03/2020 13:52

Recommendations for nose weight is not 7%: It is between 5% and 7%

EmilysDad replied on 16/03/2020 14:02

Posted on 16/03/2020 13:52 by

Recommendations for nose weight is not 7%: It is between 5% and 7%

Posted on 16/03/2020 14:02

I'd reckon Bazlid will have sorted this one way or the other 8 years on 😉

replied on 16/03/2020 14:17

Posted on 16/03/2020 14:02 by EmilysDad

I'd reckon Bazlid will have sorted this one way or the other 8 years on 😉

Posted on 16/03/2020 14:17

Has he been waiting all that time for a response? wink

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook