Hybrid Towcar To Pull 1800kg Twin Axle

S2SAP replied on 09/10/2017 17:51

Posted on 09/10/2017 17:51

Does anyone use a hybrid towcar currently that would have the capability to pull an 1800kg twin axle.

If so what are their thoughts and experiences.

flatcoat replied on 10/10/2017 20:41

Posted on 10/10/2017 20:41

Few hybrids are type approved for towing however depending on whether buying new or used there potentially is: Lexus RX400h, Range Rover, Porsche Cayenne, E Class Mercedes, Volvo X90, VW Touareg. Possibly some I have missed. Personally I would stick to an EU6 Diesel engined tow car with better real world economy. 

tigerfish replied on 11/10/2017 08:25

Posted on 11/10/2017 08:25

Total agreement with flatcoat on this.  The new technology is too immature at this time. If you buy any new hybrid or pure electric, it will be superseded by a better one very quickly, and that will continue for many years to come before they become more stable in development terms.  Values will tumble accordingly as each model is outdated by further development.

TF

Lutz replied on 11/10/2017 12:22

Posted on 11/10/2017 12:22

For almost 7 years I had a Lexus RX400h hybrid to tow my 1800kg single axle. I was very happy with the way it towed, but don't expect any fuel consumption benefits when towing. They are only noticeable under relatively low load conditions (solo with lots of stop/start driving), That's when the hybrid drive really comes into its own.

Marsker replied on 11/10/2017 12:30

Posted on 11/10/2017 12:30

Our daughter tows a TA with a Volvo XC90 plug in hybrid which she says copes very well. It makes sense to her as she's based in Holland and the taxation rate for hybrid company cars was very low when she ordered it (I gather it remains at that level while she has it, but stand to be corrected as I don't know the Dutch taxation system).

Whether such a car makes sense in other circumstances will vary very widely according to individual use.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook