Ford kuga bottoming out when towing

A Beck 62 replied on 07/04/2022 20:17

Posted on 07/04/2022 20:17

I have a 2017 awd Ford kuga, it tows a lunar clubman ck. (weight matched= 76%, nose weight 65kg - so all well inside of limits). When towing on an undulating road it feels and sounds as if it’s bottoming out. I’ve had the towbar fitting checked okay, I’ve fitted MAD upgraded springs and tried carrying the porch awning in the car or the caravan and nothing makes any difference. As I left rooksbury site today there’s 3 speed humps, 1st one nothing, the second the noise and nothing on the third! 
When we got the car all was fine, it’s only been the last six months the noise has started. Any ideas as it only occurs when towing.

mnlatham replied on 14/04/2022 18:39

Posted on 14/04/2022 18:39

Never had a problem towing our 1595 MTPLM Swift Challenger with our 2014 Kuga.

Could it be the jockey wheel not fully retracted, happened to us once.

A Beck 62 replied on 14/04/2022 18:57

Posted on 14/04/2022 18:57

Thanks for the suggestion but despite three garage inspections and two from towbar companies along with ideas from technical help section I think I’ve sorted it. Of the four bolts that hold the bar to the sub frame two were okay, one needed torquing the forth (the one behind the fuel filler pipes) needed eight full turns before torquing up.

obbernockle replied on 14/04/2022 19:33

Posted on 14/04/2022 19:33

If the ball is not overweight and the car is not overloaded, then you need to look at the way the car/caravan sits on the level road. If it looks right, then the issue is probably not what you think. Get the damper on the caravan hitch checked because the bumping banging noise from it can be very misleading. Don't ask me how I know.

TimboC replied on 19/04/2022 15:52

Posted on 19/04/2022 15:52

We have a 2016 Kuga, and havent had a problem with it.

2 points though. 1. As mnlatham says, is the jockey wheel correctly stowed? If the wheel itself is loose, it can resonate in the wind and bang against the aframe. We had this on a Lunar Lexon when we a pneumatic tyre on the jockey that had deflated. If you can't keep it tight, use a bungee

2. Is it noise from the towball? Try cleaning the tow ball with emery paper and brake cleaner, and also the pads inside the hitch (the black ones on each side) Ive done this for every trip after having to call and engineer out on site once due to the dreadful noise coming from the back of the car

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook