Elddis Affinity 550 towing making me sea sick

KEVIN WAKELING replied on 09/10/2020 17:05

Posted on 09/10/2020 17:05

I have an Elddis Affinity 550 which I tow with a 2017 Ford Kuga 2.0 TDCI manual gear box  frontwheel drive. The engine has plenty of power to pull it.

I do not have problem with satbility or pulling up hills. I have loaded the caravan so that there is approx 85kg on the tow ball. The caravan is lighly loaded and I always start off with a full tank of fuel to make trhe car a bit heavier.

My problem is a feeling that the caravan is forever tugging me back and forth which makes you a bit seasick.

The car has been serviced and no fault was found with tow shock absorber, brakes or Alco stabiliser. My next thing  possibly is to try is to disable the Alco Stabaliser to see if the brakes are being applied intermittently due to the Alco being too sensitive.

If any one has experienced this type of thing then I would like to know how you got over it; or do I just need a much heavier car.

From google:-- The Kuga is heavy enough to make a suitable tow car for a wide range of caravans. With a kerbweight of 1716kg, the Ford has an 85% match figure of 1459kg. The legal towing limit is 2100kg (whether you choose a manual or an auto), and the noseweight limit is 100kg.

Tinwheeler replied on 09/10/2020 17:17

Posted on 09/10/2020 17:17

On paper the weights should match and presumably you've experimented by loading the van in different ways and ensured you haven't exceeded your payload limit.

Have you got shock absorbers on the caravan and have you had the wheels balanced? Both might help with the problem as also might loading the towball to the max 100kg.

JohnE replied on 09/10/2020 19:06

Posted on 09/10/2020 19:06

Hello Kevin. Up until July last year I had a Kuga 163BHP AWD auto towing an Elddis Crusader Aurora which had MTPLM of 1520Kg..

This was my 2nd Kuga, which I think is a great tow car. One critical thing is car tyre pressures.

Towing at max PSI of 41 on rear PLUS 3PSI. The fronts I put at max PSI for fully loaded car. These figures are in the car users manual, including the +3psi.

Like you, nose weight about 85/87Kg. Never experienced any trouble with van controlling car. Very stable except behind car transporters. Kept well back until I could safely pass quickly.

Hope that helps.

John E

TonyBurton replied on 09/10/2020 22:01

Posted on 09/10/2020 22:01

I tow with a Kuga. A great tow car. My nosweight tends to be well up near the 100kg limit. Do you achieve 85kg by placing heavier items near the rear of the van? This world induce more of a rocking movement from the van. I had shock absorbers fitted to my van and also have the tyres on the car and van at the maximum.

lornalou1 replied on 11/10/2020 12:04

Posted on 11/10/2020 12:04

Could it be the Alko hitch itself. Does it move in and out very easily as may need a couple of pumps with a grease gun to give more resistance on the for and aft movement. 

EmilysDad replied on 11/10/2020 12:14

Posted on 11/10/2020 12:04 by lornalou1

Could it be the Alko hitch itself. Does it move in and out very easily as may need a couple of pumps with a grease gun to give more resistance on the for and aft movement. 

Posted on 11/10/2020 12:14

... I understood from the OP that the hitch was OK when he said ... and no fault was found with tow shock absorber, 🤷‍♂️

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook