E Class towbar electrics

rodneya replied on 01/08/2022 14:55

Posted on 01/08/2022 14:55

Does anyone know if Mercedes E class estate factory fit towbar electrics will power the van fridge as standard?

My last two BMWs came without the additional connections after specific order instructions and the extra wiring had to be retro fitted by the dealer

I think Audi may fit the necessary wiring on all their cars’ towbars 

Vulcan replied on 01/08/2022 16:03

Posted on 01/08/2022 16:03

The only way to be sure is to specify fully wired electrics when the vehicle is ordered and get it confirmed in writing.

EmilysDad replied on 01/08/2022 16:20

Posted on 01/08/2022 16:20

I didn't order my ML new so have no idea what was requested when ordered but my factory tow bar's electrics power my fridge

rodneya replied on 01/08/2022 19:26

Posted on 01/08/2022 19:26

Thank you for the information 

I ordered the car yesterday and was told the it would arrive from the factory with the towbar and electrics fitted, but would need to be in the workshop for some further modifications.  No one could confirm that it would have all electrical connections for the van fridge etc straight from the factory although I was assured that everything will work when I collect the car next year

I feel it would be better all in one electrical harness from build rather than add ons by the dealer

My BMWs were ordered with a written instruction for full electrics and they both arrived without.  The current one’s first trip was to the van to check the fridge having been assured it would work.  It didn’t and was in the dealership for two days having an extra wiring harness fitted without charge

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 03/08/2022 19:13

Posted on 03/08/2022 19:13

At the end of 2017, I took delivery of an E Class E350 All terrain which comes with a factory fitted towbar.

Probably the best factory fitted towbar I have ever had, much better than my current Range Rover Sport in that when the towbar is retracted it has its own cover over the ball and does not need cleaning when opened up again for use.

I did not need to have the electrics adapted - they worked fine.

Hope this helps

RogerP1956 replied on 03/08/2022 20:11

Posted on 03/08/2022 20:11

I have a 21 Plate GLE, I would expect the factory tow bar electrics on the E class estate to be the same and mine works fine.

Not sure I understand why there would be further modifications for a factory fitted tow bar!

One thing to be aware of is that the tow ball may come (like mine) with the sensor ring around the centre of the ball. Mercedes do not recommend that these be used with trailer hitches that have anti snaking clamps. My dealer suggested that I should not engage the lever on the Al-Ko hitch (as if!). This issue has been covered on Audi forums and, I believe that, Audi finally agreed that it was OK to use an Al-Ko hitch on this type of ball.

KeefySher replied on 06/08/2022 12:31

Posted on 06/08/2022 12:31

My current GLE 350 has a factory fitted tow bar that is wired fully.  My previous S350 had a retrofit OEM towbar fully wired. That required a cooling fan change as part of the job.

Both are/were electrically deployed. Neither required any messing with the towball like rubbing the paint off.

MB tend to know what they are doing, BMW don't! in respect of wiring.

John Todd replied on 06/08/2022 15:42

Posted on 06/08/2022 15:42

I had an E class back in 2013 and that factory fit tow bar and electrics worked everything.

Since then I have had 2 BMW's and you are right both had to have the additional electrics fitted by the dealer.

rodneya replied on 08/08/2022 13:00

Posted on 08/08/2022 13:00

Thank you for all the replies

The car will arrive from the factory with all the necessary connections for the caravan equipment 

Roger P.  My misunderstanding, it won’t need any modifications at the dealer workshop

Cheers everyone 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook