Discovery Sport Phev real world towing experience?

Tawny Barn replied on 04/05/2022 11:29

Posted on 04/05/2022 11:29

I tow a Bailey Pegasus Grande Brindisi circa 1600 Kgs when loaded, I currently have a Discovery Sport 2.0D 180ps, which is brilliant. However my PCP deal ends in 12 months and I had planned to order something very similar. Unfortunately the Landrover main dealer has just told me that for the indefinite future you can only order Disco Sports as a Phev! No Petrols or Diesels can be ordered, who knows for how long.

So does anyone have any real world experience of towing a Caravan similar to mine with a Disco Sport Phev? Concerns are that once the battery is out of charge, the 3 cylinder Petrol won’t have enough power when we are fully loaded. I also don’t like the fact that the towing capacity is limited to 1600Kgs, when the Diesel Is 2000Kgs.

I could keep my current car, or try another manufacturer, but some real world knowledge would be useful. Thanks.

ScreenNameADF2063F76 replied on 21/09/2022 23:32

Posted on 21/09/2022 23:32

Have now towed twice with our 2 months old Disco Sport P300e. Towing 70 miles with a full charge gives about 30mpg (but don't forget the cost of the charge). Towed a further 70 miles without initial charge gave 20mpg. We are towing a 1550kg van and it handles it very easily. The upside of the PHEV is that we do a lot of local driving and after 2600 miles (inc. the towing) half have been on petrol, half on electric only. The trip says this is an average of 53mpg, but does not account for the £3.50 cost of each 33 -35 miles done on electric. I haven't done the maths but feel the running costs are equal to or better than the 2.0 diesel model we previously had. It is amazing how infrequently we visit a petrol station, with home charging being quick and easy to set up. A full charge from a 13 amp plug takes about 6 hours, no problem done overnight. Because it is only a 15kwH battery we haven't changed our electricity tariff to give supercheap night charging as the saving would be eclipsed by the higher cost of electric used during daytime and evening. A feature of PHEV and EV cars is being able to prewarm the cabin on chilly mornings, which I like a lot, roll on winter. If range anxiety is a worry, then a PHEV is a good compromise in my experience.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook