Detachable ball hitch

Airgirl replied on 22/06/2024 23:25

Posted on 22/06/2024 23:25

Hi, I used to caravan as a child with my parents and then myself for a while as a young adult but not for about 30 years.  Obviously so much has changed in that time! My hubby and I are about to try and sort a caravan so that we can get back to it and therefore need to get my Škoda Superb estate fitted with a tow bar.  Having made some enquiries it seems that ideally I need a swan neck detachable one to accommodate the parking sensors on my car but to be honest I am a bit hesitant at the thought of the detachable idea! Will it come detached when the caravan is on the back!

Please talk some sense into me and give me your thoughts, opinions and experiences!  Thanks loads! 

Marybeth replied on 15/07/2024 16:34

Posted on 15/07/2024 16:34

I towed with an MVG detachable towbar with no issues whatsoever - when you feel the weight of it you will realise how sturdy they are. Once in position they are locked in place so there is no way thay can work loose. There is a plastic blanking plate which blanks off the hole when the towbar is removed. Picture attached which may help (This is from my old towbar so is spare)

I also have a detachable towbar on my new car - different brand but just as sturdy.

Dont forget to sand the paint off the towing ball before use so the friction pads in the towhitch get a good grip. Also check that there is sufficient clearance between your bumper and the towball to allow the caravan tow hitch to drop on.

Hope that this reassures you

heddlo replied on 15/07/2024 18:28

Posted on 15/07/2024 18:28

We have only ever had detachable tow balls.  No issues whatsoever.  Really dislike having a fixed towball on the car all the time. 

Amesford replied on 15/07/2024 22:17

Posted on 15/07/2024 22:17

1. The ones we had you just pushed them into to the fitted bracket they clicked in then with the supplied keys lock in situ, as pointed out they are a fair weight but at least you don't bruise your shins 

JohnM20 replied on 16/07/2024 09:56

Posted on 15/07/2024 22:17 by Amesford
  1. The ones we had you just pushed them into to the fitted bracket they clicked in then with the supplied keys lock in situ, as pointed out they are a fair weight but at least you don't bruise your shins 

Posted on 16/07/2024 09:56

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and certainly this is the case on my car, the key is to unlock the towball to be able to remove it. Locking is automatic when you push it into the fitted bracket. 

Metheven replied on 16/07/2024 11:22

Posted on 16/07/2024 09:56 by JohnM20

Please correct me if I'm wrong, and certainly this is the case on my car, the key is to unlock the towball to be able to remove it. Locking is automatic when you push it into the fitted bracket. 

Posted on 16/07/2024 11:22

Seems there is various ways in attaching and locking. My 3 year old Witter detachable inserts, clicks and secured, it then has the option to lock using the key to prevent removal from its socket. Default is unlocked.

To the OP, I have been using detachables for many years, go for a reputable brand, no need to worry regarding their safety.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook