Dedicated towing harness - Reverse issue

Del Sandy replied on 16/02/2018 18:38

Posted on 16/02/2018 18:38

Hi All, I have just fitted my 13 pin genuine KIA Sportage 2010-2015 dedicated wiring harness (3U621ADE00CP) and supplemental kit for the caravan fridge (55621ADE00). Purchased from Jennings Motor Group, for my 2014 KX-4.

I tested it today and all the functions worked including the caravan feeds all except for the reversing lights.

I bought the KIA genuine kit as I did not want to have to cut into the wiring harness.

The instructions show that I need to cut into the wiring harness for the reverse to work (I did ignore this instruction hoping it would work without this connection).

I am assuming after the wiring harness / connectors were made and in production some bright spark said 'oh F@%k' we forgot the reverse connection. so they just added a wire to cut into the wiring harness (going against the point of a dedicated wiring kit!).

Hopefully somebody can restore my confidence in this genuine part costing £160.

If anybody can give me some advise I would be really pleased?

Cheers
Derek

Phishing replied on 18/02/2018 17:03

Posted on 18/02/2018 17:03

If the instructions say you need to break into the wiring harness then I would suggest you follow this. Sometimes it is just not practical to have a suitable interconnect for all models and derivatives, poor show but if that what they designed then I cant see you having an option.

lornalou1 replied on 19/02/2018 11:27

Posted on 19/02/2018 11:27

just buy a couple of scotch locks and crimp into the reverse wire as instructions state. very cheap and quick. job done.  

Metheven replied on 19/02/2018 11:59

Posted on 19/02/2018 11:59

Looks like you have to do what is recommended, very unfortunate.

Mine has a dedicated CanBus harness and when towing, if reverse is selected the cars reversing lights are inhibited and the caravans turn on. I suppose it stops glare from the front reflection of the caravan but doesn't help that much with the caravans reverse lights so far away, plus reversing in the dark is a very rare occurrence for me and I wouldn't bother.

Although the instructions say to splice in, I would ask the dealer that splicing into the cars harness would not be an excuse to void your warranty (if you have one) if any electrical problems happened one day. So easy to blame that and use it as an excuse.

Navigateur replied on 19/02/2018 12:19

Posted on 19/02/2018 12:19

These Scotchlock connectors are rather brutal and a fault waiting to happen.  I would not use then on a vehicle that I was keeping for more than 24 months, especially if the location they are to be used is damp. The cores of the wires involved are open to atmosphere and the copper will follow the laws of chemistry to become copper oxide.

A decent elecrician would strip a short length of the wire and solder on the new connection, making it all waterproof with self-amalgamating tape. 

replied on 19/02/2018 12:41

Posted on 19/02/2018 12:41

I have used scotchlocks in the past and then wrapped in electrical tape. No problem over a couple of cars and 8 to 10 years usage. 

xtrailman replied on 19/02/2018 14:37

Posted on 19/02/2018 12:19 by Navigateur

These Scotchlock connectors are rather brutal and a fault waiting to happen.  I would not use then on a vehicle that I was keeping for more than 24 months, especially if the location they are to be used is damp. The cores of the wires involved are open to atmosphere and the copper will follow the laws of chemistry to become copper oxide.

A decent elecrician would strip a short length of the wire and solder on the new connection, making it all waterproof with self-amalgamating tape. 

Posted on 19/02/2018 14:37

I'm a decent electrician and I use scotch locks all the time on auto wiring. I haven't been asked to solder a wire onto a connection for over 30 years, and that was for GPO JB multicore wiring, in fact I don't believe open reach solder joints either now.

Provided you make the connection correctly, use the correct size you will have no issues in my experience.

My NTTA local fitter also uses them.

90% of connections are now crimp connections, but using  those in a car involves cutting the wire to make a connection, not something I would be happy doing, scotch lock are preferred.

Phishing replied on 19/02/2018 22:49

Posted on 19/02/2018 22:49

Scothlocks are a bodge.

There are no ID (insulation displacement) terminals used in any road vehicle by the OE manufacturers. There is a reason for this, they fail, they corrode, they let moisture into the harness, they are a poor joint with increased resistance in the circuit.

Telephone companies use ID terminals because once they have fitted them they are not subject to vibration. The telephone ones are at least gel filled to stop moisture penetration.

No auto electrician should ever use them, there are many papers written on the many automotive attempts to use ID terminals over the years, most are of the autopsy type on what went wrong.

Cutting the cable, twisting, soldering and insulating is the correct thing to do. If you are not confident enough to DIY then find someone who is.

I would never allow someone to scotchlock a towing harness into my vehicle, I would question their competence.

They are quick and cheap, if that's what you want  then fine.

replied on 20/02/2018 07:51

Posted on 20/02/2018 07:51

In your opinions MM and Phising they are a bodge. 

Not my first choice but I have used them in the past without any problems whatsoever. 

xtrailman replied on 20/02/2018 08:55

Posted on 19/02/2018 22:49 by Phishing

Scothlocks are a bodge.

There are no ID (insulation displacement) terminals used in any road vehicle by the OE manufacturers. There is a reason for this, they fail, they corrode, they let moisture into the harness, they are a poor joint with increased resistance in the circuit.

Telephone companies use ID terminals because once they have fitted them they are not subject to vibration. The telephone ones are at least gel filled to stop moisture penetration.

No auto electrician should ever use them, there are many papers written on the many automotive attempts to use ID terminals over the years, most are of the autopsy type on what went wrong.

Cutting the cable, twisting, soldering and insulating is the correct thing to do. If you are not confident enough to DIY then find someone who is.

I would never allow someone to scotchlock a towing harness into my vehicle, I would question their competence.

They are quick and cheap, if that's what you want  then fine.

Posted on 20/02/2018 08:55

Its not true that road side JB don't suffer  from vibration, they do. How many people have had a problem with their phone master socket?  they don't use soldered joints either.

They would be no practical reason for an auto maker to use scotch locks, it would be totally impractical, the plug and socket arrangement using crimped connections is the only sensible way for a quick install.

Cutting a cable and soldering is a dated method which in its self can lead to problems, I would avoid this type of bodge job.

The only time I use a soldering iron is when making up electronic boards as an hobby, and even the incoming wiring to that is via crimp lug connectors.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook