the car weighs 1565kg empty which means im above this 100% rule

im confused with all these figures

manufacturer says you can tow 2100kg

caravan club says you cannot as its above the 85% or 100% rule

why does the manufacturer not say its only allowed to tow up to

100% of the weight of the car ??

anyone from the police or dvla on the forum that could maybe clarify

Moderator Edit:

This is a duplicate thread so it's been locked.  

Hja replied on 03/08/2020 15:58

Posted on 03/08/2020 15:58

I'm not from the police or DVLA.  From all my years towing various caravans with various tow cars, I had always believed that the manufacture's limit was the physical possibility without harm to the car whilst the 85% "rule" was about safe towing, with something (a caravan) which is not altogether aerodynamic or stable.  We always worked within the 85% limit.  Even then, we had one car/caravan combination which even as experienced towers, we didnt feel was safe.  Too much sway - however we loaded.  We eventually concluded it was a long overhang in the car (it was an estate car), and a rear fixed bed in the van.  We changed the car.

JohnM20 replied on 03/08/2020 16:16

Posted on 03/08/2020 16:16

To my mind the manufacturers' maximum trailer weight is the most confusing and pointless figure ever quoted. I'm sure it is only there to make the unsuspecting buyer believe it is a good tow vehicle. It is a figure derived, I believe, from tests in perfect conditions and doesn't take into consideration things like getting stopped on a hill and then trying to move off again. I have always thought of it as the point at which the trailer pulls the tow bar off the car. 

The ideal MTPLM of your caravan, based on the empty weight of your car is 1330kg or up to 1565kg if you are an experienced and confident tower.

For your 1642kg caravan (I'm assuming that is the MTPLM), your car's kerb weight should be no less than 1642kg or preferably 1932kg.

Hope this helps a bit.

flatcoat replied on 03/08/2020 16:32

Posted on 03/08/2020 16:32

No i am not however i can understand why some are when ‘85’% and ‘100%’ are referred to as though they are legal requirements. What is sensible or safe and what is legal are different. The UK is the only country where caravaners get their collective underwear knotted falsely believing 85% or whatever is a law that if broken will kill you and every other driver around you. The alleged rules are based on research now approaching 40 years old and with accident data, vehicles and caravans even older. Would i tow above 100%? Maybe, maybe not, depends on the set up in its entirety. I now tow around 75/80% simply because that is how my outfit has turned out. For those of a nervous disposition i wouldnt read any further.......Whisper it quietly bur Previously i towed around 100-105% (i never weighed the car when in road/towing use) and hell hasnt frozen over and the sun will still rise in the morning. 

This topic has been locked, no new replies can be added.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook