Citroen Grand C4 Spacetourer (new Picasso)?

netcam replied on 07/02/2022 10:03

Posted on 07/02/2022 10:03

Hello,

We are hoping to buy a Trigano Silver Mini Freestyle 290 (MTPLM 1,000Kg, MiRO 688Kg) and are thinking of buying a Citroen Grand C4 Spacetourer 1.2 PureTech Petrol 130 bhp EAT8 Auto.

We have done lots of research and have decided against diesel, hybrid and electric for now for various reasons. We have been wondering about manual vs auto but research seems to suggest that the EAT8 torque converter autos are good and my feeling is that if you are paying for something with adaptive cruise control, it will be more worthwhile with an auto.

Our aim is to have a flexible outfit that we can use in various situations, but that we can store at home. It will mean emptying the garage and having a new roll up garage door fitted, but in the long term it seems worthwhile, as we can then store the caravan in our garage. With the new door, we should have about 12cm each side to get it in, a bit tight, but we have a straight, paved drive and the caravan has handles on the back and front. Once inside there is more width, but it will pretty much take up the whole garage, apart from a couple of bikes and perhaps a narrow shelf unit or two.

I have 2 teenage sons and not only is my current little car old, it is also really too small for all of us to go on a day out together, so we want something bigger for that, as well as the inevitable space probably needed taking the teens to and from university in the coming years. We don't really need the 7 seats, but like the extra space including height at the back of the car and who knows if they might come in handy sometime.

The caravan is really for my partner and I to travel as we have holiday time on our own when the teens are with their dad and we hope to continue to use it into retirement. We also realise such a small caravan is a compromise and so the bigger car would also be useful for carrying equipment on touring trips, while still being reasonably light and economic with fuel. It would also allow the option of bringing a tent for the teens if we all decided to go away together. We might have waited a few years until they leave home, but with Covid still around we just don't feel like doing the kind of holidays abroad that we used to do, so we thought we might as well do it now. The silver has a little washroom and shower as well as hot water, which is the only garage size lightweight caravan we have been able to find with those features, which both Freedom Discovery and Gopod, which we looked at too, do not. We are both quite small and think it would be usable and a washroom/toilet is something we really want.

My partner has never travelled in a caravan before, but I had an Eriba Troll which I towed with a Mondeo 2.0 diesel manual about 10 years ago with my ex when the teens were very little and I loved it. My partner is now coming round to the idea and is willing to give it a go. He loved the look of a Wildax Pulsar, but we have a restrictive covenant and are not permitted to park Campervans in our drive and it is very much over budget and not practical as our only vehicle right now.

Any advice would be welcome. It looks like we might be able to get a really good deal on the car through a broker right now before the new reg comes out in March.

It seems like Citroen have considered the petrol viable tow cars for lightweight caravans:

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/whats-on/awards/towcar-of-the-year/Citroen/

And here is a review of the a diesel:

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/citroen-grand-c4-picasso

Please see photos for towcar match.

Any advice would be welcome.

Thanks.

keithpres replied on 12/02/2022 18:37

Posted on 12/02/2022 18:37

A manual gearbox would be hard work with a small petrol engine. The EAT box is made by the Aisin/Toyota group and used by a number of car manufacturers and has a good reputation.

We have a Trigano and have found it impossible to obtain spares other than through 3rd party suppliers. They do not seem to have an official dealer network in this country for caravans. I beleive Silver is now a seperate entity from Trigano.

eribaMotters replied on 12/02/2022 20:59

Posted on 12/02/2022 20:59

We are on our 4th Eriba. We currently have a 1200kg Triton, which does have a bathroom but I would not shower in it. It is a perfectly functional washroom and loo for night time use.

Eriba are expensive but they hold there value well. Our previous 3 we sold for more than we paid for and our current 2017 van would now return what we paid for it new. We tow with a 1.5L petrol Audi A3 and are very pleased. Previous tow car was a 2.0L diesel Skoda Yeti and the Audi wins on all counts, even mpg is very similar.

Colin

shrekster replied on 03/03/2022 21:29

Posted on 03/03/2022 21:29

Hi as you can see from my photo i owed a Citroen grand 7 seater 1.6 blue diesel 7 speed auto 2016 old school cruse control loved the car dot volunteer to jump start any one i did and recreated it it has the rest of its life with fault code 

my experience when i had car in general towed great with bailey pageant 2 birth 2010 I must admit I'm always very naught and push load to the max the car averaged 23 to 26 towing so i think 1.2 petrol will struggle a bit but probably be ok but don't expect miracles on the mpg side as I always said I wish I had purchased a 2.0 diesel  at the time, auto gear box was great, manual mode 99% of the time 

the tow bar I fitted ground clearance was a bit low where it curved for my liking purchased from towsure so if I had to do it again i would include factory fit version as to add to it  mail dealer purchased wiring was a pain passenger interior removal and the dealer didn't want to know about software update, so never again yes you can fit by pass relay by I wanted to do it properly 

because of tow bar being low it was always on my mind ,one time i was max loaded to add to it I took my son and daughter away once , my sons a big lad car didn't like it caught the ground couple of times so be careful on your weight with passengers other wise car coped great highlands and wales specially in the beast from the east yes me the brave was in away down wales when that hit 

i now have a VW Tiguan 2019 190 2.0 diesel sel spec fac fit folding tow bar  adaptive cruse control is fatastic  car driving and   towing  ,beware I've had fault failure particular not with the caravan on thankfully  ,when temp inside the car around the o   great tow car bags of power mpg 26 towing   but i hate it  now emptied my pockets because its rubbish on fuel day to day driving city traffic ,as they say I think I've bought a lemon ,

I would Love to cross over to Hybrid not plugin as no drive way  but cant find a self charging hybrid that got a decent tow weight so I'm sticking to diesel for 3 more years see what come in the future  and going back to French cars, 

Ds4 cross 1.5 diesel  when it comes in stock is on the cards 

Good Luck 

netcam replied on 24/03/2022 06:37

Posted on 24/03/2022 06:37

Thanks for all of your replies. In the end we decided on a Suzuki Vitara 1.4 auto petrol and are picking it up from the dealer in a week or so. Still not got the caravan yet, but we have ordered the Silver Mini 290 and just need to finish clearing out the garage for it. I totally agree Colin that Eribas are great and we would have got another if our garage had been slightly bigger. But with no space outside to store it and the reality that even the smallest Eriba would not fit in the garage, we needed to be realistic as we did not want the extra cost and hassle of storing away from home, neither do we want to move house right now.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook