Changing tow car this year

1Tracey1 replied on 23/01/2018 11:12

Posted on 23/01/2018 11:12

Morning all. Currently have a ssangyong diesel which we due to change this year -3years old. Don't know what to do 're the petrol/diesel debate'. I know changes aren't till 2040 but obviously there are consumer confidence issues with diesal which could affect trade in price. Wondered what people who regularly change there car and are due to do so this year were planning on doing.

Tinwheeler replied on 23/01/2018 22:22

Posted on 23/01/2018 22:22

As Corners said, it depends very much what you need from a towcar but, personally, I would agree with LL's shout as you can't beat a diesel with plenty of grunt for towing.

A diesel might depreciate quite considerably but I suspect a big engine petrol car will as well as it won't be popular in the second hand market.

flatcoat replied on 24/01/2018 06:54

Posted on 24/01/2018 06:54

Unless your car has done space travel mileage I would keep it another couple of years. By then the current anti diesel hype will be old news and the market will have settled down. Plus, selling a car at 3 years is the worse time to sell for depreciation which is THE biggest cost of any car. If you really must change I would stick with diesel but there are too many variables to consider for which you need to provide to get better advice. 

markmacd replied on 24/01/2018 19:02

Posted on 24/01/2018 19:02

I had an Antara and just traded in for a Jeep. Both diesal.  

Get a pre -reg if you are changing. Save you stacks as you will not take the initial hit as you do when buying brand new. 

Cars depreciate whether they are diesal or petrol, so not really a big concern for me. 

lornalou1 replied on 25/01/2018 17:24

Posted on 24/01/2018 19:02 by markmacd

I had an Antara and just traded in for a Jeep. Both diesal.  

Get a pre -reg if you are changing. Save you stacks as you will not take the initial hit as you do when buying brand new. 

Cars depreciate whether they are diesal or petrol, so not really a big concern for me. 

Posted on 25/01/2018 17:24

nice to hear from you markmacd. please go to your own post Jeep Grand Cherokee as would love to hear about your new motor.

geoffeales replied on 27/01/2018 15:34

Posted on 27/01/2018 15:34

I did loads of research last year when considering a change, as above I agree there's nothing better than a diesel for towing. New diesel sales are falling and that will surely reflect on future trade-in value, but bear in mind the petrol's days are numbered too and at the moment the hybrids are very pricey and not that "torky". So my advice is to wait as long as possible and see what comes up. I did that and whilst my old Tucson was having (another) £500 spent on it, I saw a C4 Picasso on the forecourt, very low mileage and very reasonable price - and he made me an extremely generous offer for the Tucson, so bingo, after all that I have another diesel!  The Picasso has a 6 speed semi-auto box which takes a little getting used to but I took the van for a test run last week and it pulls extremely well, considering it's only 1,6. Less road tax, less insurance and more mpg - happy days!

Tigi replied on 28/01/2018 19:42

Posted on 28/01/2018 19:42

Even if you buy the latest hybrid today, you can bet your life when people start to appreciate the loss of efficiency in a battery after three years and cost of replacing said battery depreciation will kick in. Stick with diesel for towing until the new fangled ideas are proven!

JVB66 replied on 04/02/2018 11:22

Posted on 04/02/2018 11:22

A euro 6 diesel is a lot cleaner than petrol which has caused a 14% rise in CO2 polution since the Gov "decided" to ban diesels,

Ps stick with what you have as at 3yrs its the biggest "hit" when changing

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook