Cars not approved for towing

DavidRC replied on 27/01/2023 11:14

Posted on 27/01/2023 11:14

I'm not talking about small cars, sports cars etc but cars which you would expect to be able to tow. I'm looking to change my present Skoda Octavia  but have come across references to some Skoda models/versions not being approved to tow ( no train weight shown on weight plate).

Seems to relate mainly to some versions of the Kodiaq but other models have also been mentioned. It is suggested that in order to be approved to tow, a Skoda needs to be ordered with either a factory tow bar or at least tow bar preparation which may include mods to cooling system.

I won't be buying new so will need to look carefully at the spec of any car I see.

Does anyone know if this is peculiar to Skoda or are there similar issues with other makes?

Thanks.

Paul Richards replied on 30/01/2023 16:25

Posted on 30/01/2023 16:25

You are correct. When I purchased my Kodiaq the manual version was not approved for towing but the DSG gearbox was. I am also aware of someone who changed his BMW company car for the exact same model but the new car could not be fitted with a tow bar as the adblu tank had now been fitted to later models and was exactly where the tow bar fixings needed to be. 
My only advice is to research carefully before you purchase. 

replied on 30/01/2023 16:42

Posted on 30/01/2023 16:42

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

DavidRC replied on 01/02/2023 07:55

Posted on 01/02/2023 07:55

Thanks all for the replies.

I will need to look carefully at this aspect when considering a replacement!

watto64 replied on 01/02/2023 14:26

Posted on 01/02/2023 14:26

Another thing to look for is the towing capacity of a vehicle may vary between OEM and aftermarket towbars.

Many years ago the original VW Tiguan was rated as 2000kg towing capacity, after a test drive and what seemed like hours in the dealership I enquired about getting an after market towbar fitted only to be told the capacity would drop to 1500kg. The 2000kg ability was only possible with the factory fit option as it came with larger oil coolers etc. 

This may not be the case these days but its worth checking - maybe thats what the term 'towing preparation' spec means.

flatcoat replied on 01/02/2023 15:51

Posted on 01/02/2023 15:51

The car must be type approved for towing, if not it is illegal to tow - even if an aftermarket towbar is available. Type approval is becoming a minefield as different trim or engine variants of the same base model May or may not be type approved. If buying new I would specify tow bar prep for the avoidance of doubt. 

Sootyvandriver replied on 29/03/2023 21:30

Posted on 29/03/2023 21:30

I got close to buying the large XJ Jaguar but luckily realised it did not have type approval for towing.

Also my Mustang GT 550 is approved for towing in the USA but not in Europe, not that I would want to.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook