Car won't start

JohnM20 replied on 21/08/2021 09:54

Posted on 21/08/2021 09:54

Yesterday I took my Mondeo automatic on a decent run at speed to both put some charge in the battery and  to burn off deposits in the exhaust. This morning the car won't start. It is as though the battery is dead, (2 year old battery). I keep the car in my garage but because of the car's length the front of the bonnet is under my workbench making it impossible to open the bonnet. When I put the car in the garage last night I had an idea that if I left it in Neutral and switched off I would be able to push the car back a bit should I need to open the bonnet. This is the first time I've parked the car in this way. When I parked up the screen showed that the gearbox wasn't in Park but then seemed to shut down normally. The first inkling that something was wrong this morning was when the boot wouldn't unlock although the other doors did and the mirrors turned out.

Although I've called Mayday / Green Flag they won't be here for some time.  (Just for general info, Green Flag have a technical problem with their App this morning).  Can anyone throw any light on what might have gone wrong?

JohnM20 replied on 21/08/2021 11:09

Posted on 21/08/2021 10:41 by JVB66

I take it you did put it back into park before you attempted to start itsurprised

Posted on 21/08/2021 11:09

Yes. If the battery has gone flat because it was left in Neutral why is this? It doesn't make sense to me.

Takethedogalong replied on 21/08/2021 11:21

Posted on 21/08/2021 11:21

Modern cars use battery power for all sorts of background stuff, even when you turn off the ignition. (Our Jeep clicks and whirrs for a good half hour after we lock it up.) It’s sounds as though something has been left active, thereby almost draining the battery, giving just enough power to do a basic task like open the doors and turn out the mirrors, but no where near enough to power it up. We had a Jeep Cherokee that did this to us. Unbeknown to us, an interior light got left on, this was enough to drain the battery overnight and prevented starting. Extremely annoying as it was packed to go away. At that point we transferred all our camping gear into our other, less sophisticated Jeep Wrangler, and happily left the Cherokee to sulk in the garage🀣

Hope you get sorted quickly J20πŸ‘

JohnM20 replied on 21/08/2021 11:32

Posted on 21/08/2021 11:15 by Tinwheeler

Do you have lights on the dash when you turn the ignition on?

Posted on 21/08/2021 11:32

Yes, including the headlights that come on because the car is in the relatively dark garage. After only a couple of seconds it pretty well all shuts down. Only the alarm state is then shown on the dash.

Although the main door locks operate, why won't the boot unlock? It was this that alerted me to a problem. Better then than at 4.00pm when we're supposed to be going out. It's a real mystery. Hopefully Mayday will be here soon, they said 11.30am to 1.30pm.

Tinwheeler replied on 21/08/2021 11:44

Posted on 21/08/2021 11:44

If the lights work briefly, I doubt the battery has completely died.

I've no doubt you'll have tried starting it with the brake pedal depressed so I'm out of ideas. Hope they get you sorted soon.

ADP1963 replied on 21/08/2021 12:07

Posted on 21/08/2021 12:07

As far as I am concerned Green Flag has had a problem with their App since I joined in July 2021. I have had no need to use them but still a bit annoying.

EmilysDad replied on 21/08/2021 14:25

Posted on 21/08/2021 14:25

I assume your Mondeo is like all of my autos in that you can't (routinely) remove the key from the ignition unless the car is in PARK ..... I suggest that you left the ignition switched on while leaving the car in NEUTRAL. If your car is keyless then I'm out of ideas πŸ€”

EmilysDad replied on 21/08/2021 14:28

Posted on 21/08/2021 11:44 by Tinwheeler

If the lights work briefly, I doubt the battery has completely died.

I've no doubt you'll have tried starting it with the brake pedal depressed so I'm out of ideas. Hope they get you sorted soon.

Posted on 21/08/2021 14:28

I initially had problems starting Emily's Yaris the other week ..... apparently there's a 3rd pedal that needs pressing before it'll start! πŸ™„πŸ™„

JohnM20 replied on 21/08/2021 15:38

Posted on 21/08/2021 15:38

Latest update. Green Flag's local recovery agent came about 11.40 so they were on time. The guy was very puzzled about the whole problem. I told him that according to the Mondeo handbook the gear lever can be moved from P to N by removing a panel and inserting a screwdriver to move a small lever forwards. This allows the gear selector to be moved into neutral. He'd heard of it but had no idea how to do it. Neither had I come to that. We couldn't determine which 'side panel' Ford were referring to. He then realised that as it had an electric parking brake, if the battery had, in fact died, then as well as locked in Park on the front wheels the rear wheels were also locked solid with the brake. And all this in the confines of my garage.

The major problem was that we couldn't get to the battery as the bonnet of the car goes under my work bench so the recovery guy wasn't able to check the voltage. He has gone away until Monday (agreed with me) when he'll bring a mate with hi., Meanwhile I've cut a piece out of my work bench and managed to open the bonnet.  The battery was showing 8.0 volts ! No wonder nothing worked as it should. I've put the battery on charge and will see tomorrow what happens. The battery is only two years old with a 3 year warranty so on Monday I'll go to my local dealer and see what he has to say.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook