Can any vehicle expert answer these questions?

JohnM20 replied on 27/03/2023 13:59

Posted on 27/03/2023 13:59

Can anyone with any real knowledge of cars answer the following questions?

My car has gone to the main dealer today for an interim service and MOT. I have had a report from the dealer concerning the following:-

1. "Can't check the oil level because a very small piece at the very bottom of the dipstick has broken off". How can a bit break off a dipstick which is in the car's sump?

2. "Tread measurement for the rear tyres shows one tyre needs replacing". The measurements that I took 2 weeks ago, 130 miles done since, are over double what the dealer is saying. The odd thing is they only gave three readings, inner, middle and outer. The tyre has 4 tread grooves and so I have four readings, all well within the legal limit.

3. "The spare tyre is 79% worn". It has NEVER been on the car. How can it be worn?

Is this a further case of why main dealers should not to be trusted? Five years ago this same dealer told me I had a radiator leak and quoted £600+ for the repair. I had never seen any evidence of a leak and the dealer couldn't explain where it was. Two main services and two interim services later there is never any mention of it by the technicians(?) In the intervening  time I have added, at most, 1 litre of water/antifreeze and still no evidence of a leak on my garage floor.

Your comments / explanations very welcome.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/03/2023 14:20

Posted on 27/03/2023 14:20

I don’t think anyone can answer your questions, John, because one would need to see the car to do so.

My advice is to visit the dealership and put your points to the owner/general manager and demand to see evidence. At best this sounds to be general incompetence.

I suggest you use a different garage next time.

flatcoat replied on 27/03/2023 14:55

Posted on 27/03/2023 14:55

As above. Go back to the dealer and ask to see the evidence. Assuming none is forthcoming ask to see the Dealer Principal and put your concerns in writing copying trading standards and the companies head office. And name and shame. 

DavidKlyne replied on 27/03/2023 15:25

Posted on 27/03/2023 15:25

I stand to be corrected but I have never known an oil dipstick that was made of anything other than metal? Almost impossible to break a piece off? Have you checked the dipstick yourself?  With the tyres you need to challenge them with the information and get them to explain. A spare wheel, depending on age, can deteriorate, especially if in an underslung carrier but to say and unused tyre has lost tread seems odd. 

I have owned 4 Kia cars, from new,  for the last 17 years and used the same main dealer with little cause for complaint. They have recently changed hands so I will be watching carefully to see if things stay the same. Fortunately the long warranty period does help stop nasty surprises! 

David

huskydog replied on 27/03/2023 15:50

Posted on 27/03/2023 15:25 by DavidKlyne

I stand to be corrected but I have never known an oil dipstick that was made of anything other than metal? Almost impossible to break a piece off? Have you checked the dipstick yourself?  With the tyres you need to challenge them with the information and get them to explain. A spare wheel, depending on age, can deteriorate, especially if in an underslung carrier but to say and unused tyre has lost tread seems odd. 

I have owned 4 Kia cars, from new,  for the last 17 years and used the same main dealer with little cause for complaint. They have recently changed hands so I will be watching carefully to see if things stay the same. Fortunately the long warranty period does help stop nasty surprises! 

David

Posted on 27/03/2023 15:50

Some manufacturers use a plastic piece on the end of the dipstick , Kia is one of them on some model years 

Wherenext replied on 27/03/2023 16:01

Posted on 27/03/2023 16:01

If they are a main dealer surely they have a spare dipstick to measure the oil? Can't see how a non used spare can have lost tread and by so much as well.

I too would demand to see the evidence.

JohnM20 replied on 27/03/2023 17:19

Posted on 27/03/2023 17:19

Just got the car back from the dealers complete with paperwork.  They are showing the tread depths to be:-

N/S 3   3   1        O/S 1.6   3   3  with a quote for a new tyre.

I've just checked the depths myself using my Vernier depth gauge. My readings are:-

N/S  4.0   3.5   4.0   4.0    O/S  4.5   4.0   3.75   4.5

All measurements are from outside of tyre to inside.

Had I been my neighbour who uses the same dealership, she would have taken their word as gospel and bought a new tyre from them totally unnecessarily.

I think I've taken my car their for the last time.

Tinwheeler replied on 27/03/2023 17:25

Posted on 27/03/2023 17:25

And the spare?

Did you not make a fuss, John? I’d have done as I described before and wouldn’t have paid the bill in full until satisfied.

SteveL replied on 27/03/2023 18:42

Posted on 27/03/2023 18:42

The spare in my XTrail although being full size is steel rather than alloy and has temporary use tyre on it. I assume just to save costs. The temporary use  tyre only has about 3 mm of tread. Perhaps the OP’s is the same and whoever did the measurements assumed it was a standard tyre.

flatcoat replied on 27/03/2023 18:52

Posted on 27/03/2023 18:42 by SteveL

The spare in my XTrail although being full size is steel rather than alloy and has temporary use tyre on it. I assume just to save costs. The temporary use  tyre only has about 3 mm of tread. Perhaps the OP’s is the same and whoever did the measurements assumed it was a standard tyre.

Posted on 27/03/2023 18:52

More To save weight. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook