BMW X1 TOWBAR

rich 81 replied on 02/02/2018 21:00

Posted on 02/02/2018 21:00

I have got my new BMW now and I need a towbar. Should I go for a detachable or retractable ?  Any comments good or bad on either ?  On my old car I had a fixed alko but I want to be able to move it out of site on the new car

Tigi replied on 03/02/2018 20:40

Posted on 03/02/2018 20:40

I`ve had both detachable and now an electric retractable (factory fit) and much prefer the retractable. Made by Bosal with an intergrated 13pin connection simply swings out at the touch of a button. Have`nt had any problems though I tend not to swing it in on the continental trips just in case! The detachable  (Westfalia) was OK but a little fiddly and was quite heavy to lock up which involved a certain amount of kneeling,  it was however solid with no movement, one difference was the ball rusted and the Bosal does not.  

JimFl replied on 04/02/2018 19:52

Posted on 04/02/2018 19:52

I have the Bosal detatchable, the electrics swing out of the way. As Tigi says there is a certain amount of kneeling requred, (the detatchable part is surprisingly heavy) otherwise its perfectly satisfactory.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook