BMW retrofit tow hitch & Alko Hitch

jet744 replied on 24/12/2019 10:06

Posted on 24/12/2019 10:06

Has anyone fitted a BMW retrofit detachable tow hitch to a BMW 335d x drive F31? I'm told by the BMW dealer that when fitted the distance from centre of hitch to rear bumper will be 65mm whereas the Alko needs a minimum of 68mm? Despite that I see Towcar tests of similar vehicle clearly using the BMW tow hitch and an Alko stabilising hitch without any problems.

If any one has any experience I'd be glad to hear. It's driving me to distraction! I want to fit the BMW version as the car is only 3 months old and under warranty I also want all the vehicle capabilities retained such as the Trailer Stability Protection.

Thanks

stephen p replied on 26/12/2019 11:17

Posted on 26/12/2019 11:17

I am going to do that all too common and very annoying thing of replying and not being able to answer your question.

But

I thought it worth a mention that some BMWs have a significantly downgraded towing capacity if you are not using a factory fitted tow ball with upgraded cooling etc..

jet744 replied on 28/12/2019 08:39

Posted on 28/12/2019 08:39

Interesting thought. Only issue raised in owners’ manual is that of fuel heating with less than 1/4 tank! Sadly several BMW dealers are little or no use in providing any helpful information..... disappointing.

flatcoat replied on 28/12/2019 13:28

Posted on 28/12/2019 13:28

You are making a mountain out of a tiny molehill, the tolerances are not that critical that 3mm will mean you cannot hitch your caravan. I am not surprised the dealers are not helpful because they are only interested in selling you a car and unless you get a caravanning salesman they don't care, also applies to 99.9% of manufacturers/dealers and sales staff. Just think through the implications if it were so close. Your bigger concern is ensuring the order form very clearly states unequivocally the wiring is for a UK caravan and to include for fridge, aux, and battery charging. Very few EU manufacturers include for this so be forewarned. 

jet744 replied on 28/12/2019 17:08

Posted on 28/12/2019 13:28 by flatcoat

You are making a mountain out of a tiny molehill, the tolerances are not that critical that 3mm will mean you cannot hitch your caravan. I am not surprised the dealers are not helpful because they are only interested in selling you a car and unless you get a caravanning salesman they don't care, also applies to 99.9% of manufacturers/dealers and sales staff. Just think through the implications if it were so close. Your bigger concern is ensuring the order form very clearly states unequivocally the wiring is for a UK caravan and to include for fridge, aux, and battery charging. Very few EU manufacturers include for this so be forewarned. 

Posted on 28/12/2019 17:08

Thank you. We're new to all this so I'm sure I am making a mountain of it.

All slightly complicated by signing us both up for the Club Caravanning course to be told that for vehicle to be acceptable on course the minimum spacing between car body and centre of ball is 70mm! I'm sure it can't be that problematic as the BMWs used in Club Towcar awards must be BMW supplied, presumably with BMW factory fit tow hitch which seems to work OK.

Not keen on spending the hideous cost of BMW retrofit to discover subsequently that it won't work with the Alko hitch on our soon to arrive caravan!

Your thoughts on electrics very helpful. think a detachable after market hitch from someone who does this stuff every day might be the route.

Lutz replied on 28/12/2019 20:11

Posted on 28/12/2019 20:11

Unless I am mistaken, the factory-fitted towbar for the 335i was always an electrically retractable one. Detachable or fixed ones would be engineered by the towbar manufacturers and only approved by the BMW sales and service organisation for sale through their dealer network so there may be a small difference in dimensions. I've got the factory-fitted electrically retractable version on my car and I could check the clearance on that tomorrow if interested.

Lutz replied on 29/12/2019 14:06

Posted on 29/12/2019 14:06

I have just checked the electrically retractable factory fitted towbar on my BMW and it has 70mm clearance.

jet744 replied on 29/12/2019 17:50

Posted on 29/12/2019 14:06 by Lutz

I have just checked the electrically retractable factory fitted towbar on my BMW and it has 70mm clearance.

Posted on 29/12/2019 17:50

Thank you, that's really helpful. It is possible (at a very large price) to have one retrofitted.

When talking to the dealer he BMW retrofit detachable shows a clearance of 65mm which is a puzzle.Presumably you have no issues with an Alko hitch?

I will speak to the dealer again tomorrow!

Thanks for taking the time to check it for me, that's much appreciated.

jet744 replied on 03/01/2020 18:41

Posted on 29/12/2019 14:06 by Lutz

Posted on 03/01/2020 18:41

One other thought. Do you tow a caravan with your factory fit towbar? If so I presume you have no problems with it.

If anyone else has a BMW retrofit detachable tow bar on their 3 series touring and would be prepared to measure the lateral distance from tow ball centre to bodywork it would be much appreciated.

Thanks All.

Lutz replied on 04/01/2020 06:42

Posted on 03/01/2020 18:41 by jet744

One other thought. Do you tow a caravan with your factory fit towbar? If so I presume you have no problems with it.

If anyone else has a BMW retrofit detachable tow bar on their 3 series touring and would be prepared to measure the lateral distance from tow ball centre to bodywork it would be much appreciated.

Thanks All.

Posted on 04/01/2020 06:42

Yes, I do tow a caravan, but it has a Winterhoff hitch, not an AlKo one. I understand that the Winterhoff design does not require the same clearance as AlKo,

MiDor replied on 04/01/2020 09:34

Posted on 04/01/2020 09:34

Hi Jet744

When I had a caravan I had a BMW coupe 320D 2010 model, the towbar was fitted by a company in Shrewsbury that the local BMW dealership used to fit their aftermarket towbars. They fitted a Westfalia swan neck detachable that was suitable with the Alko hitch, it was close to the bumper but no problem to attach.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook