AWD Towing

johnpage replied on 25/10/2017 19:26

Posted on 25/10/2017 19:26

Just bought new Ford Smax (my second one) this one is a 2.0 litre with AWD (part-time). Shall be towing Sterling Eccles 590. The car is automatic but has a sport mode where gears can be selected via a paddle shift. When towing should I use sport mode and select gears myself or use the standard automatic "drive" setting?

lornalou1 replied on 25/10/2017 19:36

Posted on 25/10/2017 19:36

i would use auto mode for motorways and reasonable flat roads and let the gearbox do the work but if in hilly/mountain areas put it manual mode and use the paddles as you can hold it in a lower gear longer for up the steep parts where as in auto the box will be constantly changing up and down when the revs go up and down. if you know what i mean. not a good explanation. try both and see what you find the best.

Phishing replied on 25/10/2017 19:57

Posted on 25/10/2017 19:57

Towed with the S-Max for a year or two. Left it in auto all the time and it pulled beautifully. Just let it do the thinking, it will adapt and should give a good driving experience. It should be one less thing you need to think about.

Tigi replied on 25/10/2017 19:59

Posted on 25/10/2017 19:59

I use auto mode, I have a sport mode and sport mode plus but on mine this is still auto but selects a higher gear than the auto normally would. I can override with the paddles which I chiefly use going downhill to increase engine braking. If towing a heavy caravan it may be better to use sport to avoid the gearbox "hunting". Some parts of the A75 south of Clermont Ferrand where the autoroute has some steep climbs I use sport.

EmilysDad replied on 25/10/2017 22:23

Posted on 25/10/2017 22:23

I don't have the option with my auto tow car, but you can use either. You'll  probably soon get bored of manually changing gear & leave in auto ...... how sporty are you going to be driving with a wobbly box on the back of your car? 😉

NutsyH replied on 30/10/2017 10:53

Posted on 25/10/2017 19:26 by johnpage

Just bought new Ford Smax (my second one) this one is a 2.0 litre with AWD (part-time). Shall be towing Sterling Eccles 590. The car is automatic but has a sport mode where gears can be selected via a paddle shift. When towing should I use sport mode and select gears myself or use the standard automatic "drive" setting?

Posted on 30/10/2017 10:53

Doesn't the sport mode also work in automatic, just holding the gears longer and changing down sooner? Our cars are all auto with sport mode (although not Fords), and I can use the paddles in all modes, or auto in all modes. 

Boff replied on 30/10/2017 13:03

Posted on 30/10/2017 13:03

I would also use Auto on motorways, going up hills I would use auto, although I might put my foot down just before the hill to get it to drop a gear to keep the revs up.  The only place I would consider manual is going down hill.  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook