Autumn travel advice

Nige W replied on 22/09/2017 16:32

Posted on 22/09/2017 16:32

With storms often forecast, it’s time to give some general advice for staying safe whilst travelling:

1.       Always plan your journey in advance

Check the weather forecast; use route planning websites; identify alternative routes, stopovers and particularly high risk locations like major river crossings or high passes

2.       Monitor changing weather and traffic conditions while travelling

Use sat-nav capabilities, radio reports or mobile apps, but STAY SAFE, and avoid unnecessary distraction while driving. If need be, stop to check details, or use an audio app like that from Highways England for motorways and major A roads in England

3.       Be prepared to switch your route or your travel time to minimise risks

It’s always better to arrive later but safer

4.       Keep your speed down if conditions deteriorate

Stopping distances will be reduced, and vulnerability to crosswinds improved

5.       Make sure your vehicle is set up properly to minimise vulnerability

Avoid overloading, and keep weight distribution favourable to minimise the risk of instability for both caravans and motorhomes. Make sure tyre pressures are correct, and tyres in good condition

Weather/traffic information:

UK weather http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

Met Office weather alerts: http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/warnings

Met Office app for iOS or Android

KellyHenderson replied on 26/09/2017 16:12

Posted on 26/09/2017 16:12

Some more links:

England traffic

http://www.trafficengland.com

Highways England app for iOS or Android (gives audio reports for safe use when driving)

http://m.highways.gov.uk (Highways England mobile site)

Twitter:@HighwaysEngland

Regional feeds

@HighwaysSEAST

@HighwaysSWEST

@HighwaysEAST

@HighwaysEMIDS

@HighwaysWMIDS

@HighwaysNWEST

@HighwaysNEAST

@HighwaysYORKS

Scotland traffic

http://trafficscotland.org

Twitter: @trafficscotland

Wales traffic

http://www.traffic-wales.com

Twitter: @trafficwales

@TrafficWalesN

@TrafficWalesS

App for iOS or Android

Northern Ireland traffic

http://trafficwatchni.com/home

Twitter: @TrafficwatchNI

ABIPete replied on 27/09/2017 22:00

Posted on 27/09/2017 22:00

Hi Nige, we were due to tow  our caravan from Cambridgeshire to Cirencester 2 days before last Christmas. As there were warnings being given out for southerly storm force winds on our travel day which would have been cross winds on the M4 we reluctantly decided to cancel two days before travelling. We booked a hotel in the same area instead and there were indeed severe winds as forcast! I then got a tart email from head office because I had cancelled later than 72 hours before travel! You can't win! At least we still have a caravan the right way up!!

Heethers replied on 28/09/2017 08:20

Posted on 28/09/2017 08:20

Head office should leave the decision to the customer their could be any number of reasons for canceling. My wife is carer to her elderly parents that live in an annexe next to us, we have had to cancel twice this year with only 48 hr notice due to ill health of one of them. What would the club want us to do leave them to social services, l don't think so. l think you had a very good reason to cancel, their is a tick box that you fill in on the booking page that should surfice

Nige W replied on 28/09/2017 11:53

Posted on 28/09/2017 11:53

Hello ABIPete & Heethers.

We appreciate that giving advance notice of a cancellation may at times be difficult due to adverse weather conditions.

As a Club we have to be fair to all members when enforcing the policy. The communication you have received goes out to any member who has made a late cancellation; unfortunately it does have to be firm for it to have an effect. Since introducing the policy in March 2012 we have seen a dramatic decrease in late cancellations and no shows which are helping to maximise pitch availability.

If there were three instances of late cancellations within the calendar year, we would review the circumstances around each cancellation using any notes held on the system and would contact you if further information was required. Situations such as this would always be considered on a case by case basis and no action would be taken to suspend a membership or cancel forward bookings without first reviewing the late cancellation history and the members individual circumstances. We will not be penalising members for genuine cancellation reasons. By no means do we want members to put themselves at risk by travelling when it is not safe to do so.

ABIPete replied on 28/09/2017 16:57

Posted on 28/09/2017 16:57

There do seem to be different ways of doing things. I had to delay my recent trip to Ferry Meadows by a day as I had to get an emergency hospital appointment for an eye problem on the day I was due to travel. By phoning the site they amended my booking, apparently this does not trigger an email. If I had changed it online myself it would have or so I was told by one of the Wardens.

JVB66 replied on 28/09/2017 17:10

Posted on 28/09/2017 16:57 by ABIPete

There do seem to be different ways of doing things. I had to delay my recent trip to Ferry Meadows by a day as I had to get an emergency hospital appointment for an eye problem on the day I was due to travel. By phoning the site they amended my booking, apparently this does not trigger an email. If I had changed it online myself it would have or so I was told by one of the Wardens.

Posted on 28/09/2017 17:10

We have ammended on line at short notice (less than 72hrs with no problems

Nige W replied on 29/09/2017 13:49

Posted on 28/09/2017 15:16 by Tinwheeler

Posted on 29/09/2017 13:49

Hi Tinwheeler

Rowena did introduce us to Club Together. If you click HERE it will direct you to the thread. Unfortunately my profile picture doesn't seem to work but they are trying to sort it out. Just for your information, here is my profile picture.

EmilysDad replied on 29/09/2017 15:24

Posted on 29/09/2017 13:49 by Nige W

Hi Tinwheeler

Rowena did introduce us to Club Together. If you click HERE it will direct you to the thread. Unfortunately my profile picture doesn't seem to work but they are trying to sort it out. Just for your information, here is my profile picture.

Posted on 29/09/2017 15:24

Unfortunately my profile picture doesn't seem to work but they are trying to sort it out.

That's  life on CT ...... you might be waiting a while. 😉

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook