Automatic Transmission Cooler?

netcam replied on 29/06/2022 13:34

Posted on 29/06/2022 13:34

We have a new 2022 Suzuki Vitara 1.4 turbo mild hybrid petrol automatic and a Silver Mini Freestyle 290. I have added the data from Towcar.info.

We did loads of research into towcars for lightweight caravans and into whether to get a manual or automatic. We found various reviews of the car suggesting it would be a good option for our mini freestyle:

https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/suzuki-vitara-2

Since then we have been asking on the Suzuki forum about something related to the towbar and someone has now suggested we should get an Automatic Transmission Cooler for the car if we are towing.

The manual does not recommend this and from what we have read in advice online, this does not seem necessary unless the car manufacturer recommends it for towing, or in mountainous conditions for some cars.

We haven't actually towed yet, but are going away in about 4 weeks for our first trip.

Any advice would be helpful. Thanks.

Tinwheeler replied on 29/06/2022 13:48

Posted on 29/06/2022 13:48

I wouldn’t have thought it necessary as you shouldn’t be putting a huge load on the gearbox with your light van. However, I know nothing about Suzukis. 

What sort of auto box is it? Torque converter, CVT, dual clutch…..

netcam replied on 29/06/2022 14:00

Posted on 29/06/2022 13:48 by Tinwheeler

I wouldn’t have thought it necessary as you shouldn’t be putting a huge load on the gearbox with your light van. However, I know nothing about Suzukis. 

What sort of auto box is it? Torque converter, CVT, dual clutch…..

Posted on 29/06/2022 14:00

Torque converter

Tinwheeler replied on 29/06/2022 14:33

Posted on 29/06/2022 14:00 by netcam

Torque converter

Posted on 29/06/2022 14:33

In that case, I stand by my first statement above 👍🏻

DavidKlyne replied on 29/06/2022 17:15

Posted on 29/06/2022 17:15

I suspect that transmission coolers are only added when you have experienced a problem rather than in anticipation? The car should be able to operate within the towing weights given by the manufacturer. I once fitted an additional cooler to a Vauxhall Charlton because the gearbox fluid used to boil whilst towing. It didn't help much but eventually Vauxhall came up with a simple remedy to cure the problem, all that was needed as an expansion chamber! 

David

EmilysDad replied on 29/06/2022 17:19

Posted on 29/06/2022 17:19

I'd be surprised if it didn't already have some kind of cooler ... either air to oil across the front of the car somewhere or water to oil built into the main radiator. All my slushbox autos have had.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook