Anyone tow with a Mercedes Viano?

DSB replied on 29/09/2020 09:08

Posted on 29/09/2020 09:08

Just wondered if anyone has towed with a Mercedes Viano 3L 'Compact' and if so, any thoughts.

We are just thinking of changing our towcar.  Looked at a Viano the other day and really love the vehicle - I do carry a lot of stuff in the car, and a 7 seater car is what we want.  The Mercedes looks a really comfortable car (including the back row of seats).  In the Discovery, the back row of seats are a bit of an 'afterthought' and there are occasions when I carry 7 folk...

Would be grateful for any thoughts....

David

flatcoat replied on 29/09/2020 10:19

Posted on 29/09/2020 10:19

Bear in mind it is a van based vehicle so i suspect the comfort/ride may not be great. An R class with long wheelbase might be a better option, much more car like and can be had with 4wd. However anything over 6 seats should be a bargain buy at the moment.... 

DSB replied on 29/09/2020 10:30

Posted on 29/09/2020 10:19 by flatcoat

Bear in mind it is a van based vehicle so i suspect the comfort/ride may not be great. An R class with long wheelbase might be a better option, much more car like and can be had with 4wd. However anything over 6 seats should be a bargain buy at the moment.... 

Posted on 29/09/2020 10:30

I looked in a Viano the other day, and I have to say, it looked wonderful - seats far more comfy than a Disco, but I know what you mean about a van-type ride.  I liked the Compact as it's about the same length as the Disco.  It feels longer though, as the engine seems far more compact, giving more room in the vehicle.  It also has a high roof, which I really like. I'm generally not a fan of low cars.  Don't ask me why, but I don't like most modern cars which tend to 'taper-off' at the rear of the vehicle, with smaller windows and a lower profile at the back.  Give me a 'boxy' vehicle any day... 😀😀

David

EmilysDad replied on 29/09/2020 10:37

Posted on 29/09/2020 10:37

I can highly recommend the R Class 6/7 seater, the 3rd row of seats, though comfy are not easy to access ..... more intended for kids. They were all 4x4 though I believe there were a few run out model that were 'only' RWD but I've never seen one for sale. They're not exactly frugal .... 

And it's a Viano David 😉

DSB replied on 29/09/2020 14:44

Posted on 29/09/2020 10:37 by EmilysDad

I can highly recommend the R Class 6/7 seater, the 3rd row of seats, though comfy are not easy to access ..... more intended for kids. They were all 4x4 though I believe there were a few run out model that were 'only' RWD but I've never seen one for sale. They're not exactly frugal .... 

And it's a Viano David 😉

Posted on 29/09/2020 14:44

Thank you   I'll take a look...

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook