2020 Renault Koleos

Smeesh replied on 09/04/2023 19:16

Posted on 09/04/2023 19:16

Hello everyone  ...Mixed discussion .. Went out today to trade in my trusted trouble free E350 Coupe Mercedes which I have owned for the last 9 years. I recently changed my caravan to a 2020 Swift Challenger 560 and after a couple of outings my Coupe was not exactly built for towing. So sourced a Volvo XC70 D5 at our local Arnold Clark Dealership on a 2014 with I think 59,000 miles on the clock. Unfortunately being the Nirvana tow car it held the price of 17 and a half big ones. Quite steep for the age of car. Any who the Mrs didn't like it one bit surprised and much preferred the 2020 Renault Koleos already fitted with a detachable tow bar and electrics with 29,000 miles on the clock for 3 grand dearer. Checked the towing capacity and with in range . Its the 1.7 dci GT Line not the 2 litre. So the golden question anyone tow with the 1.7dci 2 wheel drive XTronic ? Mixed reviews to be honest. Looks the part with all the toys but might be slightly under powered being used to big torque.....

EmilysDad replied on 12/04/2023 13:33

Posted on 12/04/2023 13:33

I'd have let Mrs Smeesh buy the Renault if she really liked it & kept the 6 pot Merc for myself. 😉

(but owning a ML350 I'm biased 😉)

flatcoat replied on 12/04/2023 18:23

Posted on 12/04/2023 18:23

Wouldn’t buy a car from Arnold Clark if they were the last dealer in Earth and wouldn’t touch the Koleis with a barge pole. The Volvo price is ok-ish but there are plenty on Autotrader and given car sales are struggling I would look elsewhere. I have never seen a Koleos towing and I suspect there is a good reason for that! 

EmilysDad replied on 12/04/2023 19:44

Posted on 12/04/2023 18:23 by flatcoat

Wouldn’t buy a car from Arnold Clark if they were the last dealer in Earth and wouldn’t touch the Koleis with a barge pole. The Volvo price is ok-ish but there are plenty on Autotrader and given car sales are struggling I would look elsewhere. I have never seen a Koleos towing and I suspect there is a good reason for that! 

Posted on 12/04/2023 19:44

The web is full of tales of woe re AC ..... there used to be a whole website dedicated to them but it was taken down some time back

eribaMotters replied on 12/04/2023 21:20

Posted on 12/04/2023 21:20

I'm a bit cynical about larger Renaults. Possibly I'm biased as some years ago at 18 months old I traded in a Scenic as it was useless at towing a 1000kg caravan, and at 3 months old the air con had exploded whilst in France. When home it took Renault 8 weeks to fix.

If I've read the Whatcar website correctly, the Koleos was only built for a few years so I'd be asking why they dropped it. It also only got 2 stars out of 5 in reviews. You say it's towing capacity is within range, but if I was spending £20K I'd want a bit more than that. 

Finally, and you'll have to check on this, Renault had a strange system of working out max tow figures. If you used the full allowance it was at the detriment of vehicle payload.

Colin

winni1974 replied on 13/04/2023 10:19

Posted on 13/04/2023 10:19

i am not going to comment on the Koleos but when it comes to Renault i would not buy one if they were the last car on earth i had two and that was enough both broke down many times major electrical issues window fell into bottom of the drivers door all i can say you get what you pay for.

You said you liked the Volvo XC70 but your wife didnt have you looked at the BMW 5 series touring 20D i had mine for 4 years and it was a fantastic tow car as well as a solo car it comes with AIr suspension on the rear so levels out really well with the caravan in tow plenty of pulling power and very good MPG solo i averaged 50MPG but could get as much as 58MPG and towing to Cornwall from South Yorkshire fully loaded i achieved 34mpg which in my opinion was fantastic. it was also very reliable in the time i had it which i covered 40 thousand miles. i have now changed the car to a BMW X5 which is even better.

good luck in which ever car you decide on  

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook