Xplore 554 front window

Nick Waller replied on 16/11/2021 12:44

Posted on 16/11/2021 12:44

‘We have a Xplore 554 that we bought new in November 2019. At its second service this year, the dealer advised that the inner pane of the single front window was dishing (bowing) outwards in the centre and that if it continued to dish to the outer edge and allowed water ingress, that the warranty would not be valid as we had been advised of the potential problem. We have therefore been advised that we need to purchase a new window. The window warranty was only for one year.

‘A technician at the dealership stated that the problem was caused by a manufacturing fault. Eldiss deny this stating that they have sold numerous caravans without any problems with the windows. Research online suggests that we are not alone in experiencing this issue.

‘I would ask if anyone else has experienced this issue and if so how was it resolved. I would also suggest that owners request that dealers check all windows before the warranty expires. Our window might have started bowing at the time of the first service. We had never heard of such a fault. Prior to owning this caravan we owned an Abbey Lancaster with a large single front window for 30 years without any such problem.’

JVB66 replied on 16/11/2021 16:44

Posted on 16/11/2021 16:44

You were advised of the potential problem? I still would push for a warranty claim ,how long is the warranty?

We have had two Bailey caravans one with a large window and both had problems with "touching" of the two windows inner and outer panels, as it seem there was a problem for several years  ,

Both caravans windows were replaced under warranty

Nick Waller replied on 16/11/2021 17:04

Posted on 16/11/2021 17:04

The window warranty is only for one year. Both the dealer and Eldiss refuse to accept a warranty claim. 

Tinwheeler replied on 16/11/2021 17:31

Posted on 16/11/2021 17:31

There was a problem with front windows doing this about 12 years ago, as JVB refers to, and Miriad windows replaced many. Whether yours is the same issue is anyone's guess.

I suggest you contact the club's legal dept for advice.

Nick Waller replied on 18/11/2021 19:32

Posted on 18/11/2021 19:32

Thank you for your thoughts. I was hoping to get responses from other owners with the same problem. We are getting legal advice. 

Trini replied on 25/11/2021 18:01

Posted on 25/11/2021 18:01

The probelm explained to us back in 2011 with our then Elddis 485 Xplore was that the front window is too big and allows it to deflect and tho ours didnt let in moisture it was replaced as the 2 panels were rubbing together.

It was replaced within the 1 year warrenty.

Sorry I have no documented evidence as to the suitablility of the window so this would be classed as 'hearsay' unfortunately.

Good luck tho.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook