Whale water pump alternatives

footlooserv replied on 26/07/2020 13:13

Posted on 26/07/2020 13:13

Having just used the caravan for the first time since in France early March we found  the Whale water pump would not run. Power checked at plug socket and contacts clean. Fortunatly we carry 5 ltr water containers as well as the 40 gallon drum so not a serious problem. After about 2 days it suddenly started!

.Suspect that it may have stuck although i tried tapping the side several times., I have read in many places how people seem to use them OK and then the next season/trip away they will not work. I have been very carefull to ensure it is drained and kept in a dry place.

Although i have just brought a new one I think i will experiment with a cheaper non whale pump using the connection plug etc on the one that didn't work at first.The whale is rated at 10-18 ltrs a minute and many other pumps only at 10 ltr/minute (the minimum recomended for a shower in ahouse has always been 7 ltr/minute)

Anyone out there tried other pumps?

richardandros replied on 27/07/2020 06:06

Posted on 27/07/2020 06:06

I changed both the external (Truma) and internal (Reich) pumps to Whale High Flows and the output increased noticeably and I consider the Whale to be the best pump available.

However, I did have a problem when setting up, last week in that the external pump wouldn't work.  I checked and cleaned the contacts and that didn't make any difference, but what I eventually noticed was that one of the pump contacts had been bent back, very slightly, so that it wasn't making a good contact with the pin in the socket. A quick tweak and all was well.

footlooserv replied on 27/07/2020 15:43

Posted on 27/07/2020 06:06 by richardandros

I changed both the external (Truma) and internal (Reich) pumps to Whale High Flows and the output increased noticeably and I consider the Whale to be the best pump available.

However, I did have a problem when setting up, last week in that the external pump wouldn't work.  I checked and cleaned the contacts and that didn't make any difference, but what I eventually noticed was that one of the pump contacts had been bent back, very slightly, so that it wasn't making a good contact with the pin in the socket. A quick tweak and all was well.

Posted on 27/07/2020 15:43

Good point about the pump contacts. I did take the plug apart and check the contacts at the time and all appeared OK.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook