Wet LPG?

Colin the Kiwi replied on 27/06/2018 18:01

Posted on 27/06/2018 18:01

We've got a new Dethleffs Esprit which has been fitted with LPG. We've had it 8 weeks or so and the gas burners have been getting progressively harder to keep lit. They light easiely but won't keep going once the starter knob is released.

A serviceman in Poland (some translation problems) has suggested that the LPG in the bottles is Wet and a build up of moisture is causing the problem.

We've only filled the bottles once (at a BP in Rye) so any water (if that is the case) could only have come from the BP fill or have already been in the bottles ... when we bought the van the bottles were so we filled them for the first time. Has anyone else come across this?

replied on 27/06/2018 18:12

Posted on 27/06/2018 18:12

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

ABM replied on 27/06/2018 20:34

Posted on 27/06/2018 20:34

If  you  have  separate  gas  bottles  such  as  Calor  propane  6  or  3.9  kg,  then  try  substituting  a  known  good,  full  bottle  &  running  that  for  a  while.  after  a  few  minutes  you  should  have  known,  good  gas  in  your  pipe  work  embarassed  and  you  will  know  if  :--

A ) it  is your  Appliances or  regulator

B )  Your  gas  supply  undecided

C )  Your  Polish  translation  embarassed !!

Sorry  I  cannot be  of  more  help,  but  I  cannot  find  an  advert  with  your  'vans  details,  is  it  very  new  ??

ABM replied on 28/06/2018 15:51

Posted on 28/06/2018 15:51

Nearly  fell  out of  bed  laughing  last  night  'cos  I  suddenly  realised  what  this  thread  is  titled  laughing.

Dammit,  of  COURSE  your  gas  is  wet  --  It's [ giggle  giggle  ] LIQUIFIED  PETROLEUM  GAS  !!

So  it's  bound  to  be wet,  until  its  all  evaporated,  is  it  not.

I  didn't  know  that  Poles  were  renowned  for  their  sense  of  humour wink!!

ChrisRogers replied on 28/06/2018 16:28

Posted on 28/06/2018 16:28

The way I read the OP's post is that he is using a refillable cylinder or filling a standard cylinder. For refillable cylinders they are filled to 80% for the liquid to turn to gas, if not and filled to more, then liquid comes out not gas. May be wrong of course.

ChemicalJasper replied on 28/06/2018 17:59

Posted on 28/06/2018 17:59

Also the density of LPG is lower than water, so the liquid gas would float on any water (which I doubt there is), so unless you are travelling and the gas is sloshing about....

I would suspect the regulator - some good suggestions above for step by step fault finding.

Navigateur replied on 28/06/2018 18:04

Posted on 28/06/2018 18:04

The feed from a LPG tank can be wet or dry.  

The dry feed is what we caravanners are used to and is taken from the top of the tank where the liquid has vaporised. In cold weather the level of liquid is given away by frosting below the liquified section.

Wet feed is taken from the bottom of the tank and is in fact liquid which is then vapourised outside the tank before use. This is the way LPG road vehicles take their supply.

If a tank was overfilled one could well be getting "wet" from a top takeoff, but not for long.

Colin the Kiwi replied on 28/06/2018 19:10

Posted on 28/06/2018 19:10

Thanks for all of the suggestions. The van (and stove) are both new. I took it to a certified Dometic agent today in Gdansk. When I suggested "wet gas" he snorted with derision. I hadn't had a comfortable feeling about the previous service man, so maybe my gut feel was right.

To cut a long story short, the guy in Gdansk fiddled around for 2 mins, adjusted something where the bottles are joined to a regulator valve and its now all go! And whats more he waved away any fee ... so if you are ever in Gdansk and need a serviceman I thoroughly recommend Leszek & Zbigniew Lew on 58 552 1918

replied on 29/06/2018 20:36

Posted on 29/06/2018 20:36

The user and all related content has been Deleted User
near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook