Westfalia Towbar cylinder barrel lock

Rudadu replied on 07/07/2019 21:09

Posted on 07/07/2019 21:09

Hello all,

Can anyone advise where I might find a replacement Barrel lock for a Westfalia towhook please?

Mine has been damaged by someone sticking a screwdriver in it and is totally useless now. I've managed to extract the whole barrel but need a replacement. I've tried various places online with no luck and westfalia tell me they don't sell the part separately, which I find strange. I bought a barrel lock from Skoda who I found out fit Westfalia towbars, however the bolt/pin which extends to lock hand wheel isn't long enough by 5mm or so.

Any help much appreciated.

Thanks.

Rudadu replied on 10/07/2019 20:15

Posted on 10/07/2019 20:15

Thanks for that. Yes it does indeed seem I'll have to replace the whole tow hook. Seems daft that you can't buy a barrel lock separately, other makes seem to be readily available Witter for example. The Skoda lock cost me £15 and fits perfectly but the locking pin is too short. I'll have a think as to how this pin could be extended somehow and still be strong enough to hold against locking ballbearing. Please excuse my thinking "out loud". Tow hook still attaches ok but can't lock handwheel against theft obviously.

lornalou1 replied on 11/07/2019 11:36

Posted on 11/07/2019 11:36

what about buying a used swan neck and using the barrel from that. just looked on ebay and found this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/westfalia-towbar-GJS-520-Ford-Peugeot-BMW-Mercedes/173920908148?hash=item287e7e7374:g:7AgAAOSwCXJbBazw

Rudadu replied on 11/07/2019 19:46

Posted on 11/07/2019 19:46

Already tried locksmith and the lock is beyond repair. Also thought of a used tow hook and looked at some online. I'll go to local metal works and enquire about extending pin first.

Thanks again.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook