Water pump not working

moulesy replied on 10/04/2017 10:43

Posted on 10/04/2017 10:43

Fetched the van from storage yesterday. First time out since it was serviced. Went to run some sterilised water through the system only to find absolutely nothing happening when I switched the pump on. Have swapped fuses round just in case and cleaned up the terminals but still nothing. Any other ideas before I fork out for a new one? (Anyone know a way of testing to see if the pump is actually OK and it's some problem in the van?) frown

PS - all other systems appear to be working fine.

EmilysDad replied on 10/04/2017 11:05

Posted on 10/04/2017 11:05

Is the pump the Truma type that you drop into your Aquaroll or integral to an on-board tank? If the Truma type that drops into an Aquaroll, just apply 12 volts to the two terminals where you plug it into the side of your caravan, it should spin ..... doesn't matter which way you connect when testing, the worse that could happen is that the pump will spin backwards. 

Navigateur replied on 10/04/2017 11:17

Posted on 10/04/2017 11:17

The drop in ones are comparitively cheap so I'd suggest you go get one. If your original pump turns out to be fine you have a spare for when it isn't.

If you havn't got a test meter this could be a good time to buy one as well.

moulesy replied on 10/04/2017 12:07

Posted on 10/04/2017 12:07

Thanks both. It's the drop in type. MM how do I apply 12V to the terminals? Apologies for my ignorance!

Nav, yes I'll probably stump up for another, we've had this one since buying the van so it's lasted about 8 years! smile

EmilysDad replied on 10/04/2017 12:46

Posted on 10/04/2017 12:07 by moulesy

Thanks both. It's the drop in type. MM how do I apply 12V to the terminals? Apologies for my ignorance!

Nav, yes I'll probably stump up for another, we've had this one since buying the van so it's lasted about 8 years! smile

Posted on 10/04/2017 12:46

Connect one end of a piece of wire to one terminal of a car/caravan battery & the other end to one connection of your pump. Repeat for other connection. laughing Don't  short the battery terminals wink 

commeyras replied on 10/04/2017 13:56

Posted on 10/04/2017 13:56

Mine did not work when I got caravan out of storage.  With mine, with pump disconnected, turn pump 'on' on control panel and put a meter over connection in water connector on side of caravan.  If getting a reading (12v +) you are ok to there.  Put meter to electrical connectors on pump side (or do Mollysmum's method), if you get a reading (or pump works)  pump ok.  So fault with mine was the actual connectors not joining properly.  A good clean and a tweek with the pliers and all ok.  You should be able to trace fault using this method.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook