Using a car battery

dennisd replied on 19/10/2017 16:34

Posted on 19/10/2017 16:34

I'm about to replace the battery in our caravan and I've been reading that a car battery is a better match when using a motor mover because of the way it delivers it's power.  We only ever use pitches with EHU. Any info/ideas?

Cornersteady replied on 20/10/2017 07:08

Posted on 20/10/2017 07:08

I think the club has said that if you use EHU all the time then a car battery will do. However I'm not sure about using one with a mover. Why not ring the club's technical department?

H B Watson replied on 20/10/2017 14:34

Posted on 20/10/2017 14:34

Most leisure batteries seem to be dual use now, I'd not use a car battery as it's not a deep cycle construction, meaning they don't like to be fully discharged too many times. That said if you're always on EHU it probably doesn't matter. 

I can't see it making any difference to motor mover use. It will get no-where near the cranking output of either type.

hitchglitch replied on 21/10/2017 19:49

Posted on 21/10/2017 19:49

A lot of leisure batteries are not much different to a car battery anyway as has often been reported in technical forums. So unless you are going to go off grid then a car battery will probably be the cheapest option.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook