Ultimate Caravan Satnav

richardandros replied on 30/07/2017 07:38

Posted on 30/07/2017 07:38

Forgive me if I'm stating the blindingly obvious - but as far as I can see, no one has mentioned this on here before.  I have just bought my wife a satnav for her new car and because she doesn't do computers or anything technical, I got a high-end Tomtom - the 6200, mainly so that I could manage it for her.  It comes with Wifi connectability, lifetime map and speed camera updates, but most importantly - works with the "MyDrive" app. (There are also other models with this facility).  I realised that this would be ideal for planning caravan-friendly routes because it allows you to plan the route on your computer - picking the best route and avoiding caravan 'nightmares' (in conjunction with research on Google maps Street view) and then downloading it to the Tomtom device via Wifi so that it's all ready for you to set off.  I've only tested a couple of routes so far but it seems to work brilliantly and gives me the confidence that it's not going to send me somewhere daft with the van on the back. I accept that all of this does take time and it's a long way from just inputting a postcode, but for those of us who do have the time, or are faced with a potentially difficult route, it seems ideal and far better than all the others I have tried including the Caravan Club one - and that in my car - hence the additional lead so that I can 'borrow' it from time to time!

compass362 replied on 30/07/2017 10:44

Posted on 30/07/2017 10:44

There are a vast number of sat navs available for caravan / Motorcaravan users they range in price from £130 to £500+ all / most are programmable for unit # length , width , height & train weight and will use these details to supply the best selection of routes available .

I use a 7" sat nav with a integrated  dash cam which was designed for use by hgv trucks & gives information relating to large vehicle needs , ie parking , laybys , fuel etc  it also contains details of camping / caravan sites uk & abroad .

Which includes CMC , C&CC has mapping for 47 countries with campsites / Aires

dmiller555 replied on 30/07/2017 13:16

Posted on 30/07/2017 10:44 by compass362

There are a vast number of sat navs available for caravan / Motorcaravan users they range in price from £130 to £500+ all / most are programmable for unit # length , width , height & train weight and will use these details to supply the best selection of routes available .

I use a 7" sat nav with a integrated  dash cam which was designed for use by hgv trucks & gives information relating to large vehicle needs , ie parking , laybys , fuel etc  it also contains details of camping / caravan sites uk & abroad .

Posted on 30/07/2017 13:16

Please don't keep us in suspense, name that SatNav for we all want one.

EmilysDad replied on 30/07/2017 13:24

Posted on 30/07/2017 13:24

I just use an ancient TomTom integrated with SWMBO & a map book. Though not always infallible as I ended up on single track 'roads' barely wider than the caravan when going to Looe the other week ...... apparently it was my fault sealed

richardandros replied on 31/07/2017 15:48

Posted on 31/07/2017 15:48

Yes - but it's the 'programmable' bit that I don't trust! I bought the supposedly dedicated caravan satnav that this club was promoting not so long ago and despite inputting all the relevant data, it insisted on sending me on routes which were totally ridiculous.  It was sent back immediately.

The appeal of the 'MyDrive' app is that you are in control of selecting the route beforehand and that, once having sent it to the Tomtom, you can be totally confident that it will direct you along the route you have selected.  

peedee replied on 01/08/2017 17:20

Posted on 01/08/2017 17:20

The appeal of the 'MyDrive' app is that you are in control of selecting the route beforehand and that, once having sent it to the Tomtom, you can be totally confident that it will direct you along the route you have selected.

There is nothing new in planning a route on a desk top and exporting it to a sat nav. "My drive" might just make it easier but knowing nothing about how it works, I cannot say that for sure. Previous sat navs I have owned, involved creating a route on the desk top and exporting the file this creates to the sat nav when connected to your computer. "Map Factor" have had this facility available for a good few years now using their own "Map Explore" App running on a PC.  I have used this system in the past but converted to Co-Pilot about three years ago on advice received on this forum. This runs on a 7 inch tablet and I can load third party POIs onto it e.g. the Club's sites and CLs and also using Google Maps you can >transfer a route created using Google Maps< to the Co-Pilot sat nav. I have the Truck version of Co-Pilot, there is a Caravan version, and I have found it excellent and have never found the need to import routes yet although I can see it would be useful for exchanging routes created by others. I would be concerned it might ignore the parameters and HGV restrictions set up in the sat Nav.

I still use "Map Explore" verson 10 on my desk top for some planning, but I have never tried exporting a route to Co-Pilot for the reasons given above.

peedee

peedee replied on 01/08/2017 17:45

Posted on 01/08/2017 17:45

Further to the above. I have just checked the latest products offered by Map Factor, they have come on a bit since I last used it, then it was only available for "Windows". I see now it is available for many more platforms including Adroid and there is a >free version< available from Google Play. Might be worth a look at.

peedee

Heethers replied on 04/08/2017 10:11

Posted on 04/08/2017 10:11

l use the car satnav, but always read the hand book for details when approaching the site. The Santa fe has quite a few route deviations always check the route out before l leave on the satnavs map

roandmo replied on 08/08/2017 12:45

Posted on 08/08/2017 12:45

I bought the ASTEX sat nav as advertised in cmc,what a total waste of £350..it don't take me the route I want to go on,it cuts across country, down roads just wide enough,even were I live it takes me off the main road and down a side road that runs parallel with the main road,how can I trust it when in an area that I don't know ???

richardandros replied on 08/08/2017 13:42

Posted on 08/08/2017 12:45 by roandmo

I bought the ASTEX sat nav as advertised in cmc,what a total waste of £350..it don't take me the route I want to go on,it cuts across country, down roads just wide enough,even were I live it takes me off the main road and down a side road that runs parallel with the main road,how can I trust it when in an area that I don't know ???

Posted on 08/08/2017 13:42

That was my experience as well - which is why I sent it back the next day!  Totally useless and no different from any of the others on the market, as far as I could see.  The advantage of using the 'My Drive' App with the Tomtom is that it is very easy to make detailed adjustments to the route (much better and easier than with Google maps) and then send that route to the device via Wifi - don't even have to plug it into the computer. I use Street View (in Google Maps) to research routes I am doubtful about - just to make sure and then when you set off, you can be totally confident that it will stick to your chosen route and not do anything daft just because it's having a 'funny moment'!

RickyM34 replied on 27/09/2017 13:51

Posted on 27/09/2017 13:51

Please, compass362, let us know what it is as I need a new Satnav and do not have a lot of money to waste so want to get as perfect Satnav as I can. This sounds ideal. Thanks in advance!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook