Tyre Pressure Sensors. TyrePal vs Steelmate TP-S1I

Mulan replied on 09/05/2018 00:29

Posted on 09/05/2018 00:29

Hi,

I can see the benefits of fitting Tyre Pressure Sensors. But debating on whether to go for the internal type like  Steelmate TP-S1I  (pick of the bunch with AutoExpress) But don't know how much it will cost to fit each one (which we need to consider on our twin axle) and the battery longevity of the sensor once fitted. Over the external type exposed to the elements and wandering hands. Or go for the cheaper versions. Views please?

Thanks 

richardandros replied on 09/05/2018 05:31

Posted on 09/05/2018 05:31

I have the TyrePal system on our Barcelona as they were factory fitted by Bailey.  Had to buy the monitor, though - which at £99, I thought was a good investment.  Have been using it for 3 and a half years and it works faultlessly and gives peace of mind being able to see both pressure and temperature of tyres.

And it does work - I clipped a kerb at Hawes site a couple of years ago and put a rip in the sidewall of one tyre.  The alarm went off immediately and was deafening.

Having experienced a blow-out on a boat trailer on the M5 a few years ago - and I wasn't aware of it until the driver of an overtaking car waved at me frantically - I am reassured that I should get a warning before something drastic happened.

DavidKlyne replied on 09/05/2018 09:01

Posted on 09/05/2018 09:01

I have the TyrePal system on my motorhome. The advantage is that it is a home fit system solution. As to security of the sensors they are held in place with a small Allen screw and are quite fiddly to get off so you would have to have a very determined and equipped thief!

David

DSB replied on 10/05/2018 16:54

Posted on 09/05/2018 05:31 by richardandros

I have the TyrePal system on our Barcelona as they were factory fitted by Bailey.  Had to buy the monitor, though - which at £99, I thought was a good investment.  Have been using it for 3 and a half years and it works faultlessly and gives peace of mind being able to see both pressure and temperature of tyres.

And it does work - I clipped a kerb at Hawes site a couple of years ago and put a rip in the sidewall of one tyre.  The alarm went off immediately and was deafening.

Having experienced a blow-out on a boat trailer on the M5 a few years ago - and I wasn't aware of it until the driver of an overtaking car waved at me frantically - I am reassured that I should get a warning before something drastic happened.

Posted on 10/05/2018 16:54

Our experience a few weeks back have caused me to look at this seriously.  We had a blowout coming back from Cornwall on the A30.  I think I might have caught the kerb, but didn't realise the tyre had gone until I saw the smoke 2 miles further down the road!  The wheel was a write-off and it cused some minor damage to the wheel arch and 'box' which will are booked in to be replaced on 30th May.  Had I have had the Tyrepal unit, The damage may have been less.

Since looking into it, I realise that the tyre/wheels are already set up for this on the Unicorn 3 so I just need t buy the unit for £90.

David

SteveL replied on 10/05/2018 20:17

Posted on 10/05/2018 20:17

I didn't notice this thread when I started one on TP sensor failures. 

These are my experiences of just over two years of use, and may be of interest to the OP:-

I originally purchased a TC215/B monitor and 6 sensors, in April 2016. So far, of the original 6 four have failed. Two simply stopped working, the other two started draining batteries in a couple of days. One failed under warranty (12 months) the others since.

The six original sensors were a slightly different design than subsequent replacements, having a small locking screw tightened with an Allen key, rather than the locking nut of the replacements. So far none of the replacements have failed.

I do leave them on the car and caravan all the time. However, the caravan sits in storage a lot of the year and the tow car does not do a high mileage, so it is not as if they are getting a lot of use in harsh conditions.

dreamer1 replied on 10/05/2018 20:26

Posted on 09/05/2018 00:29 by Mulan

Hi,

I can see the benefits of fitting Tyre Pressure Sensors. But debating on whether to go for the internal type like  Steelmate TP-S1I  (pick of the bunch with AutoExpress) But don't know how much it will cost to fit each one (which we need to consider on our twin axle) and the battery longevity of the sensor once fitted. Over the external type exposed to the elements and wandering hands. Or go for the cheaper versions. Views please?

Thanks 

Posted on 10/05/2018 20:26

I have tyre pal on my car and twin axle and to be honest i am not very impressed some work then they dont to the extent I have stopped using them I changed all the batteries at one stage and it made no differance

ocsid replied on 10/05/2018 21:43

Posted on 10/05/2018 21:43

We went with the 4 sensor TB99 system aimed not at trailers but cars/motorhomes, however using just two channels for a single axle caravan.
The logic being the car has its own so I only needed two channels not the 6 of the trailer version; Tyre-pal confirmed the “range” was little different and being a lot cheaper appealed to us.
It was not trouble free in that initially one channel kept dropping out, and trying one of the “spares” made no difference.
I then realised the issue was literally me! My body was blinding the signal from that wheel reaching the monitor. It always came on initially as I used the mover to couple up, so then I were not sat in the driving seat, though 10 odd miles in, when sat there driving it dropped out.
Simply moving the monitor to the other side of the dash binnacle was all that was needed for consistent operation. It took a while for the "penny to drop"!
It has lasted 3 years and I have just changed the sensor batteries, only because I thought it prudent.

I don't feel theft as a real worry.
It is a cheap solution and one I can do any battery servicing needed. These days its replacement model is £100.
I like that it only needs the mover used to wake up, so I routinely peek in the cab after coupling to check the tyres are good to go.
In three years the batteries have not gone flat, replacements from Amazon were about £1 a piece.
I think knowing the van tyres are up to pressure throughout the travelling is vital to avoid catastrophic tyre damage coming from running on a slow puncture.
I don't see an argument to spend more, basically because somebody just might pinch the sensors. Not something I have heard being common.

tristar replied on 15/05/2018 11:02

Posted on 15/05/2018 11:02

I also have TyrePal installed on my caravan.  The system does work well but I have had to replace five out of the six sensors (1 under warranty)  after they failed. The sensors appear to be unreliable and each replacement costs about £35.00.

dmiller555 replied on 15/05/2018 13:22

Posted on 15/05/2018 13:22

I had the TC215/B monitor 6 sensor set fitted as my car doesn't have a monitoring system.

My sensors are they type with a lock nut and waterproof cover and are a pain to remove and refit to allow tyres to be pumped up, so if given a choice I would go for the internal sensors.

The monitor was returned for repair and didn't last long after its return to me. Bit of an expensive waste in my case and I remain unimpressed. 

MartinYvonneCyclists replied on 17/05/2018 19:16

Posted on 17/05/2018 19:16

I have a relatively new Tyrepal system, less than a year old. The sensors are the new type with the lock nut.  When working it is fine and gives peace of mind but sensor battery failure has so far been a frequent occurrence.  A low/faulty battery on one of the wheels sets off a loud screeching alarm that has to be cancelled by hitting a button on top of the screen unit.  The trouble is that it comes on in the first few minutes of leaving home I.e. when I am manoevering out of an urban area.  It actually is dangerously distracting.  It simply doesn’t compare with the reliability of the system on my 3 year old BMW.  Next time I would pay out for the high quality in wheel system.

peedee replied on 25/05/2018 15:46

Posted on 25/05/2018 15:46

I have two Tyrepal system, a TC215B with 6 senors fitted to my motorhome and a TB99 system fitted to my car. The TB99 has worked fine since I bought it about two years ago but without going into a lot of detail the Tc215 which I have had about three years, has been no end of trouble. The main problem with these systems with external sensors is preventing damage due to exposure to the elements. I have had corrosion problems and complete failures due to water ingress in the sensors. My recommendation is to fit a system with internal sensors.

peedee

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook