TV Aerial Water Leak.

Jimlol replied on 28/01/2018 14:23

Posted on 28/01/2018 14:23

I could find no helpful information anywhere about this! I recently discovered water dripping down the INSIDE of  the tube of the Status TV aerial into the wardrobe of our stored 2010 Lunar Arriva. After much internet reasearch for cause/solution information with no result, telephoned our caravan service company who advised that in the case of water coming from the inside, the aerial would need to be replaced. With nothing to loose and with great difficulty and a bit of damage to the internal fixings I managed to open the plastic aerial body and found that the sealant around the edge had failed and water was indeed  able to enter.  Once enough collected it would then drain down  via the hole for the aerial coax into the caravan.

My solution having opened the casing was to replace all of the sealant in the edge joint and reassemble. An easier although perhaps not as permanent repair would be to go around the joint externally with sealant or perhaps even just white electrical or duct tape with a view to replacing it each year. I think another possible solution would be to drill one or two small holes in the underside to allow the water to drain out rather than collect. I used this idea many years ago when British Leyland could not stop the water leaking in to the boot of my new Rover SD1. In the end I gave up and  drilled drain holes through the bottom to let it out !

lornalou1 replied on 28/01/2018 22:20

Posted on 28/01/2018 22:20

have a look on youtube channel called " the Trudgeons" Dan the man shows you how to remove and fit new seals. good bit of info.

Jimlol replied on 28/01/2018 22:42

Posted on 28/01/2018 22:42

No - its nothing to do with seals - when the seals need replacing the water  runs down on the OUTSIDE of the alloy tube.

lornalou1 replied on 29/01/2018 12:41

Posted on 29/01/2018 12:41

you do not say what model of aerial it is but here is a website that do spares so might help. http://www.visionplus.co.uk/. I have had a look and if your aerial has a winder for vertical/horizontal then the seal on the tube will have perished as the tube that goes through the roof will have a screw mech inside to tilt the outside ( if that makes sense ). so there will be a seal at the end of it on the outside. so basically a tube inside a tube so a seal will be fitted. on a nice dry day undo clamp on inside of van and remove the lot and check and I bet you find something where the water is getting in.

Jimlol replied on 29/01/2018 14:48

Posted on 29/01/2018 14:48

Don.t know the model. It does have a hinge. I have fixed it already - i posted the info because there is nothing on the web - IT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SEALS !!! It was the aerial body that was letting in water and that is what needs to be repaired if water is coming down the inside of the tube. There is no alternative other than to replace the aerial.

EmilysDad replied on 29/01/2018 15:22

Posted on 29/01/2018 15:22

I understood you Jim 😉👍 I too removed & split my aerial because it turned out that amplifier inside it had died .... presumably due to water ingress before I owned it.

Metheven replied on 29/01/2018 16:36

Posted on 29/01/2018 16:36

Me too Jim, glad you got it fixed 👍

You were lucky with being able to drill holes in the boot of your Rover, my boot didn't have a floor, it got eaten away by rust.😥

lornalou1 replied on 29/01/2018 16:56

Posted on 29/01/2018 14:48 by Jimlol

Don.t know the model. It does have a hinge. I have fixed it already - i posted the info because there is nothing on the web - IT IS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SEALS !!! It was the aerial body that was letting in water and that is what needs to be repaired if water is coming down the inside of the tube. There is no alternative other than to replace the aerial.

Posted on 29/01/2018 16:56

ok. no need to shout. just trying to help. frown.

twocals replied on 01/02/2018 15:52

Posted on 28/01/2018 14:23 by Jimlol

I could find no helpful information anywhere about this! I recently discovered water dripping down the INSIDE of  the tube of the Status TV aerial into the wardrobe of our stored 2010 Lunar Arriva. After much internet reasearch for cause/solution information with no result, telephoned our caravan service company who advised that in the case of water coming from the inside, the aerial would need to be replaced. With nothing to loose and with great difficulty and a bit of damage to the internal fixings I managed to open the plastic aerial body and found that the sealant around the edge had failed and water was indeed  able to enter.  Once enough collected it would then drain down  via the hole for the aerial coax into the caravan.

My solution having opened the casing was to replace all of the sealant in the edge joint and reassemble. An easier although perhaps not as permanent repair would be to go around the joint externally with sealant or perhaps even just white electrical or duct tape with a view to replacing it each year. I think another possible solution would be to drill one or two small holes in the underside to allow the water to drain out rather than collect. I used this idea many years ago when British Leyland could not stop the water leaking in to the boot of my new Rover SD1. In the end I gave up and  drilled drain holes through the bottom to let it out !

Posted on 01/02/2018 15:52

We had the same issue with our aerial. Really annoying soaked our cupboard. Removed aerial  and a bead of silicone around joint and job done 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook