Towing cover

chasstreet replied on 21/01/2018 20:42

Posted on 21/01/2018 20:42

hi all 

what the thoughts on leaving a towing cover fitted whilst in storage.

i know a few people who do this without issue, but before I buy one I want to understand the pros and cons 

JVB66 replied on 22/01/2018 15:38

Posted on 22/01/2018 15:38

I have wondered that as well,when asking the makers the good quality? Ones say not to be left on as debris can get between the cover and the c/van which can cause damage to the plastic windows

lornalou1 replied on 22/01/2018 16:55

Posted on 22/01/2018 16:55

I believe that the grime and dirt cause the windows to get badly scratched with any movement from the wind etc.

AJB replied on 23/01/2018 21:44

Posted on 23/01/2018 21:44

I think this is considered a definite 'no'.

We have a TowPro Elite and I think the inner material would be damaged badly if you did this!  

Thinner tow covers may fare differently, but then they don't give the same level of protection when towing.

ClubMember9AFDA8904E replied on 28/01/2018 18:30

Posted on 28/01/2018 18:30

I've had a fitted front cover since buying my last van  in 2014.   The pros and cons for me.

• towing in the wet keeps the front clean, but water gets in between the cover and van.
  • offers some protection to front damage when towing
  • makes the van dark when stopping for short periods.
  • grime gets between the van and cover in dusty environments either towing or static. 
  • Has created very small abrasions on the windows, probably caused by above. 
  • needs drying out before refitting.
  • need somewhere to store it, despite being relatively small packed up.
  • adds to weight of van when towing
  • left in on all winter the first year, front of van dirtier than the rest due to water running down inside. 

Only used it the first year, became another great idea stored in the shed. 

Tigi replied on 28/01/2018 19:50

Posted on 28/01/2018 19:50

A pair of rear mud flaps are a better idea. I`ve towed our current two year old van for some 6500` and have`nt any chips on the front panel or scratches on the front windows, and the same applies to our previous vans. I used to keep a cover on a panel van front a few years ago and found dirt collected under it but at least in stopped the rain getting into the engine compartment.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook