Thule Omnistor - Manual and electric models

DaveT replied on 25/08/2017 14:35

Posted on 25/08/2017 14:35

Does anyone have experience of using this awning? I appreciate it is more likely to be motorhomes since many caravans are not strong enough to have the unit attached. In particular, I am interested in its ability to withstand mildly windy conditions; I assume that if higher winds are anticipated it will have to be stored away. In addition, I am wondering if it can be temporarily rolled away wet. Would appreciate your experience and recommendations for using this unit. 

hitchglitch replied on 25/08/2017 16:37

Posted on 25/08/2017 16:37

I recommend that you get a tie-down kit for additional security, particularly on the continent. You may go out for the day and a storm develops. We turned up at a site in France one day after a severe storm and about half of the awnings were destroyed. Canopies fared the worse.

The tie down kit consists of two sprung straps with large pegs which hook on to the Thule at the top of the side poles. It is always best to wind in if there are strong winds.

Sometimes you cannot avoid winding the canopy in when wet although I usually try to get most of the leaves off. Just unroll it to dry out as soon as possible.

Generally if I am moving off I will try and take the canopy in the night before, particularly if it is dry with a chance of rain or dew.

JVB66 replied on 25/08/2017 21:34

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:34

We have a Thule omnistor manual fitted  to our Bailey Genoa and agree with all Hitchglitch says, also ours has been fitted on the roof with modern adhesives which negates the need for any drilling of the c/van body 

EJB986 replied on 26/08/2017 13:59

Posted on 26/08/2017 13:59

Looking at the specs it seems everything is glued and being fibre glass that is the appropriate fixing.

They started gluing cars together a long time agowink

hitchglitch replied on 27/08/2017 20:30

Posted on 27/08/2017 20:30

We had a Fiamma fitted to the side wall of our Bailey Valencia. At the time (about six years ago), Bailey seemed to be the only UK manufacturer that would warrant a fixed canopy. In the end, there was so much trouble with ineffective sealing on the side wall the dealers stopped fitting them.

So I would say that roof fitting is better but you would need to check warranty. They don't seem to bother too much on the continent though. It is a common fitment.

I do find the roof fitting on our Motorhome to a bit more difficult to operate than the side one we had previously. You tend to have to stretch up to work it.

I am a great fan of wind-out canopies and it was a godsend when the kids grew up and we could dispense with the awning. No going back. 

JVB66 replied on 27/08/2017 20:44

Posted on 27/08/2017 20:44

The good thing about our roof mounted  omnistore is it leaves the awning rail clear and we have found we can still use our isabella three quarter porch awning and have the canopy extended to give a double "skin"roof if  used as accomodation 

DSB replied on 06/09/2017 12:11

Posted on 26/08/2017 12:00 by ihatew0rk

I'm intrigued that these can be "glued" on. Was it done professionally or is it a simple home fit\please?

Posted on 06/09/2017 12:11

I think they have to be fitted professionally.  Ours was done by Rose Awnings. A really good company and they travel to where you are to fit the awning.  We had our Thule 6200 fitted (roof fitting), when we bought the caravan (June 2016).  They are based in Poole Dorset, but travelled up to Raymond James (Atherstone) to fit the awning the day before we picked up the caravan.

As it was glued to the roof it did not effect the warranty.

David

DSB replied on 06/09/2017 12:29

Posted on 27/08/2017 20:30 by hitchglitch

We had a Fiamma fitted to the side wall of our Bailey Valencia. At the time (about six years ago), Bailey seemed to be the only UK manufacturer that would warrant a fixed canopy. In the end, there was so much trouble with ineffective sealing on the side wall the dealers stopped fitting them.

So I would say that roof fitting is better but you would need to check warranty. They don't seem to bother too much on the continent though. It is a common fitment.

I do find the roof fitting on our Motorhome to a bit more difficult to operate than the side one we had previously. You tend to have to stretch up to work it.

I am a great fan of wind-out canopies and it was a godsend when the kids grew up and we could dispense with the awning. No going back. 

Posted on 06/09/2017 12:29

We use a tie down kit as a matter of course.  We also beg down each of the 'legs' - there are holes in each of the feet on the Thule awning for this purpose.

David

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook