Thetford cooker hob cover

trefor replied on 05/08/2019 17:15

Posted on 05/08/2019 17:15

My Thetford glass hob cover exploded when (inadvertently) the electric hob was turned on - the lid was down. Glass went all over the caravan - quite a bang! On inspection I found that there is NO safety interlock on the gas OR the electric, that turns off the gas/electricity if the lid is down. I contacted Thetford, the national caravan council and GASSAFE and I am amazed at the seeming laid back attitude over this. If you have one of these hob covers I would recommend its removal and then replace with two pieces of aluminium chequer plate - one piece bent over to prevent access to the controls with the lid down. My photos are over 500kb so I cannot post them. If anybody needs a photo and further advice I am on t.williams1@talktalk.net. It cost me less than £20 to do this and get peace of mind

lornalou1 replied on 05/08/2019 21:39

Posted on 05/08/2019 21:39

how and who turned the control on to cause the "explosion", accidents don't happen they are caused. Mine has the gas safety lid but the electric isn't, but there is a light above the control to say it's on.

trefor replied on 05/08/2019 22:51

Posted on 05/08/2019 22:51

Oh dear! I think the message is being missed. Accidents / causes ? whatever - the manufacturer should always factor in safety features that cover as many (dangerous) scenarios as possible. IE, allowing for tree huggers and those of us that are of low IQ. I did not know I could spell that!!

SteveL replied on 06/08/2019 09:47

Posted on 06/08/2019 09:47

We have had the electric plate in the two caravans we have owned and also have one in the current MH. We never had any problems in the caravans but almost had a near miss the first time we used the MH. The position of the cooker near the door and the narrower width of the MH, means that the control knob is easy to catch if squeezing past someone. (It's on the end nearest the door) Fortunately the lid was up, we only realised it was on when it glowed orange.

Unlike our caravans where it just plugged into a socket below the cooker, there was no obvious way to isolate it, so I removed the control knob and put it in the cutlery drawer. We hardly ever use it in any case. Tests have shown, that now there is not enough surface area for it to be turned, even if pushing past it quite hard.

I have no views on wether a chequer plate would look good or not, I would have to see a photo. Certainly something over the control knobs is a good idea and perhaps something the cooker manufactures should have considered.

It does beg the question how much thought is put into safety issues such as these and wether the designers have ever used their products in a real life situation.

trefor replied on 06/08/2019 12:34

Posted on 06/08/2019 12:34

At first I was going to leave the hob "naked", as in a lot of kitchens, but I tried the chequer plate as it was an inexpensive fix v replacing the glass top. Personally I am quite pleased with the result. Alas, the 500kb file limit stops me adding a photo. I am of the steam engined ship age! At least I know that the hob top is as safe as I make it. Young children always push the "NO" boundaries when it comes to irresistible knobs to tweak. Hiding them has got to help - hiding the knobs, to clarify..

peedee replied on 07/08/2019 11:01

Posted on 07/08/2019 11:01

Photos are posted on behalf of trefor who also made the following comments:

It may not be pretty (at 1st glance) but at less than £20 it is cheaper than replacing the original glass AND much safer. The aluminium came cut (and bent) to size. I only had to drill two holes through for the bolts that go into the handle and clamp it all together. The existing hinges just clamp on as they did the glass

Having had a similar accident, I can appreciate if you have children then this is a good a safety measure. My replacement glass cost £70!

peedee

peedee replied on 07/08/2019 14:16

Posted on 07/08/2019 14:16

Thanks for the photos, it does give a better idea of what it looks like. I think it would look better without the section covering the knobs. With an aluminium top it won't matter if they got turned on accidently. I will certainly consider such a fitting if ever I break my top again.

On my previous motorhome I had a glass door to a cupboard under the oven. Stupid idea for a door at ground level. It got broken and I replaced that with 1/4 inch piece of plywood which I painted to match the decor.

peedee

SteveL replied on 08/08/2019 16:31

Posted on 08/08/2019 16:31

I think it would look better without the section covering the knobs. With an aluminium top it won't matter if they got turned on accidently.

I am not so sure about that. It would get extremely hot, as would anything placed on top of it.

mickysf replied on 10/08/2019 08:18

Posted on 10/08/2019 08:18

We had the same event happen. Just put it down to our stupidity as 'we' had accidentally turned the electronic hob on whilst cleaning it. Should have noticed the light, should have checked it was off. A lesson learnt!

Incidentally, does anyone know what 'tree huggers' are, and what they are to do with this topic? I'm lost on that one.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook