Thetford C224CW pump replacement

netcam replied on 25/07/2023 18:41

Posted on 25/07/2023 18:41

Help please! We are away on day 3 of a 20 day trip, currently at River Breamish club site (in the pouring rain) Our manual toilet flush has stopped flushing. It is C224CW, we can see that we can order one like this, take it out and replace it:

https://www.leisureshopdirect.com/water/caravan-toilet/thetford-cassette-toilets/thetford-c220-cassette-toilets-spare-parts/thetford-sc224cw-pump

However, all of the videos online we can find for replacing the 200 series manual flush pumps show screws that need removing. Ours does not have any screws to remove so we are unsure about how to get the old one out.

Also, do you think the club site would mind us having a new pump delivered here? I have had a look and it seems like the best way we could get hold of one is by ordering it on a 24 hour delivery service.

Thanks in advance for any ideas.

Tinwheeler replied on 25/07/2023 18:55

Posted on 25/07/2023 18:55

My thoughts are that it might be easier to wait until you get home to repair it as the pump might just be seized up. Meanwhile, you can flush the toilet by pouring water down it from an old milk bottle or similar. It’s not a big deal.

You need to speak to the warden re delivery to the site.

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2023 19:03

Posted on 25/07/2023 19:03

As TW said, happened to us while away and just use a jug or something. It was easily fixed by the dealer and was a seized pump.

The wardens might have details or a mobile caravan engineer if you can't wait? They usually do, or they'll be a leaflet in the information room? And they should let the engineer on site, again they usually do.

netcam replied on 25/07/2023 20:12

Posted on 25/07/2023 20:12

We have asked the site staff and they are happy for us to have it sent here.

But, does anyone know how you can remove the flush/pump part? There's no screws or anything obvious. Don't want to start trying to pry it off with a screwdriver and break it!

Tinwheeler replied on 25/07/2023 20:15

Posted on 25/07/2023 20:15

Nope, sorry, I’m not familiar with that toilet. Have you considered the option I stated?

netcam replied on 25/07/2023 20:48

Posted on 25/07/2023 20:15 by Tinwheeler

Nope, sorry, I’m not familiar with that toilet. Have you considered the option I stated?

Posted on 25/07/2023 20:48

Thanks, we are doing that at the moment. But really we'd like to learn how these things come apart so we can fix them if necessary.

netcam replied on 25/07/2023 20:52

Posted on 25/07/2023 20:37 by Cornersteady

If you really want to do it yourself have you tried a Google or YouTube search?

Posted on 25/07/2023 20:52

We have done lots of googling and can only find videos with the older model which has screws that ours doesn't seem to have. Even the Thetford site has a video with an older model. We've attached a diagram to this post. It looks from videos like it should just come out of the top, you disconnect the water hose, reconnect a new one to the water hose and put the new one in. But we can't see how to get it out as there are no screws. I might try calling Thetford tomorrow. It looks like a simple DIY job if we could work out how to get the old one out.

Cornersteady replied on 25/07/2023 21:32

Posted on 25/07/2023 20:52 by netcam

We have done lots of googling and can only find videos with the older model which has screws that ours doesn't seem to have. Even the Thetford site has a video with an older model. We've attached a diagram to this post. It looks from videos like it should just come out of the top, you disconnect the water hose, reconnect a new one to the water hose and put the new one in. But we can't see how to get it out as there are no screws. I might try calling Thetford tomorrow. It looks like a simple DIY job if we could work out how to get the old one out.

Posted on 25/07/2023 21:32

Sorry I can't help more, the wardens might. 

If it's any help on ours, which is electric, you get to the pump by pulling off the spongy plastic control panel.

SteveL replied on 26/07/2023 09:18

Posted on 26/07/2023 09:18

Perhaps the circular bit rotates to lock into place. A pair of rubber gloves should provide enough grip to apply gentle pressure.

netcam replied on 26/07/2023 09:20

Posted on 26/07/2023 09:20

We have looked a bit more closely at a picture of it and it does look like it should just come out:

https://caratechcaravanparts.com/products/thetford-manual-toilet-pump-sc224cw-200980?variant=39460480155718&currency=GBP&utm_medium=product_sync&utm_source=google&utm_content=sag_organic&utm_campaign=sag_organic&utm_campaign=gs-2020-05-16&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=Cj0KCQjwiIOmBhDjARIsAP6YhSX2UADGvSQJc7d4dz7pXArVFMTSaOVxkOUgomQqmH_lQvdlUtyP0yoaAvMUEALw_wcB

Probably using something like a screwdriver to wedge it out and being careful not to damage the container around it. I can't see any other way of getting it out, even for a service engineer. We are going to try descaling the tank with Puriclean first, A Thetford video suggests scale can stop it working properly. We have also emailed Three Shires Leisure who service it for us and are very helpful and might be able to advise. Think we will order one to be delivered to the River Breamish caravan club site tomorrow. If we need it great, if we get it out and can repair it, we have a spare for when the inevitable happens and it breaks!

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook