Sunncamp Airvolution 390 Problems

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 04/09/2017 19:44

Posted on 04/09/2017 19:44

This is the first time I have posted a question, even though I have been a Club Member for over 5 years and caravanning for many more.

My problem is that my 390 Sunncamp appears to be blowing air tubes (Air bellows they call them) as if they are going out of fashion!  I bought the awning new in May 2016 and followed the instructions to the "tee" in terms of erecting it and using the correct inflation pressure.  We had no problems during 2016.

In March of this year on our first outing in 2017 the first tube blew and Sunncamp said that there was a batch of bad tubes i the market and replaced 4 of them free of charge, to their credit,

However - even these replacement ones are blowing; so far I am now on my 9th tube to include the first ones supplied with the awning - in 16 months not bad going (!) and we are not "on the road" excessively,  We were in the Lakes last week and one of the "new" tubes blew again, luckily I had a spare with me so it was replaced quickly.  

However I am not prepared to continue to replace these tubes at £40 a shot as readers will surely appreciate.

Has anyone else had the same problem or do I have a rogue awning here?  I've sent two emails to Sunncamp about this but to date they have not replied..... Would be interested to hear any comments.  Many Thanks

Existedsteed replied on 14/09/2017 15:15

Posted on 14/09/2017 15:15

Hi there

i bought the airvolution awning at the NEC show Feb 2017 - apart from the fact it takes some serious effort to inflate the tree main tubes and 4 "struts" with the one-way manual pump supplied, I've certainly had not had the issues you've experienced. However, I would say that I have never inflated the tubes to the level of pressure suggested by the manufacturer.  I'm in north Wales at the moment and have just survived 2 nights of 50-70 mph winds with no ill effects.

Oxfordeagle15 replied on 14/09/2017 18:00

Posted on 14/09/2017 18:00

Thanks for taking the time to respond "Existedsteed" - appreciated.  Your comments are heartening and I think that I must have just been very unlucky with the awning.  The new tubes which I bought are certainly different to the existing ones .....

To their credit, after speaking to Sunncamp they sent me 5 new tubes.

So maybe I have just been unlucky and time will tell if this sorts the problem.

Best wishes

Qashqai66 replied on 15/09/2017 14:25

Posted on 15/09/2017 14:25

Another reason why we have chosen not to bother with an air awning.  We love our Isabella even if it may take a little while to erect.

Janea57 replied on 15/04/2022 17:36

Posted on 15/04/2022 17:36

We had just encountered the same problem.. We bought our awning in October 2020 and used it twice in 2021. Just come away today (Good Friday) and one of the beams has blown across the top edge. We're going to see if we can get a puncture repair kit, but definitely want to replace it. I've emailed SunnCamp but doubt they'll be working over the Bank Holiday.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook