Sun Canopy

Glutenfree replied on 10/11/2016 17:01

Posted on 10/11/2016 17:01

Thinking of buying a sun canopy for shelter and also storage of bikes plus other gear out of the rain.  I have been looking at Isabella Eclipse and Shadow which can attach to Magum Porch OR directly to caravan.  However seem a bit expensive.  In the search came across a WIGO Ultralight canopy.  Seems cheap, but wondered how good it was and would value comments from owners and anyone else on the quality of these.  Thanks

bassett1 replied on 10/11/2016 19:08

Posted on 10/11/2016 19:08

hi ive got a isabella shadow very good canopy well made but no surprise you get what you pay for bassett.

Glutenfree replied on 10/11/2016 20:54

Posted on 10/11/2016 20:54

Thanks Bassett, your'e so right.  Do you use your canopy attached to an awning or the caravan?  If attached to the 'van, does it give sufficient shade?  The width of the shadow is 2m I understand vs 2.5m for Magnum Porch awning.

KeefySher replied on 10/11/2016 21:20

Posted on 10/11/2016 21:20

We looked at the shadow and other less than full length sun shades, then bought a Dorema Monaco full length sun canopy. 

Couldn't see the point in a 'short' sun shade as folks we saw using them were moving chairs and stuff to keep in the shade, With the full length there is more shade created.

We are very pleased with the Dorema. very light, folds to virtually nothing. Ebay is your friend.

Glutenfree replied on 10/11/2016 22:14

Posted on 10/11/2016 22:14

Thanks KeefySher, my main concern is the degree of shade achieved.  I too have seen people moving chairs about, right up to the side of the caravan, sat all in a row then moving inside!  The WIGO ultralight does offer more shade but it does look a bit cheap.  Will have a look at the Dorema....

ValDa replied on 10/11/2016 23:37

Posted on 10/11/2016 23:37

We've seen the Wigo in use, and unfortunately it only gives complete shade when the sun is at the front, and high up.  Depending on how you pitch, the sun comes in at the side, and only a small area of the 'shade' gives you any real shade.  Friends who had one gave it up after just a few weeks use and bought a Dorema Panorama.

If you want cheap and cheerful the Dorema 'Nice' single sheet sun canopy of the right length can be pulled over to give maximum shade by either going down to the ground at the front or the back of the van.  However, whilst it's fine in calm conditions it isn't so good in windy conditions and you'll need to add extra guys and some way of stopping it moving along the awning rail in windy conditions.  I'm not sure that the Dorema Monaco would be any better, and would give less shade.  

The Dorema Panorama or Dorema Vario are amongst the best we've seen in use, and everyone we've asked about them, has recommended them.   We just use a cheap and cheerful awning, bought second hand for £25, without the side panels in place!

KeefySher replied on 11/11/2016 09:02

Posted on 11/11/2016 09:02

Our Dorema  Monaco has clips for 'guy' lines to connect to either the grab handles front and back of the caravan or into the ground to stop it moving, although in use thus far not been required. It's a sun shade not a wind or rain shade and we fully expect to take it down if required, hence it being light and easy to take down.

Commented on another thread that for next year will change the guy lines to more substantial ones we have from a drive away awning we had with the previous MH.

Bought ours on ebay at a third of new price, never used before. The seller had even turned some 'feet' for the bottom of the poles. 

Glutenfree replied on 11/11/2016 12:57

Posted on 11/11/2016 12:57

Thanks for your comments ValDa and KeefySher, very useful.  Looks as though the WIGO is a NOGO!!

Qashqai66 replied on 12/11/2016 17:00

Posted on 12/11/2016 17:00

We would not be without our Isabella Shadow for anything.  Yes it is expensive but it works.  The poles weigh nothing and I can put it up on my own in minutes.  We once had to take it down in a severe storm but that only takes a moment.  We bought three extra Isabella Typhoon guys as we don't think the three provided are sufficient.  

In fact we have now sold our porch awning as we found it was such a bore to lug all that weight around and then the pegging is hard work on arthritic knees as mine are.  Now we just use the Shadow but we are fair weather campers and do not go away in the winter.

I might consider an air awning but not until someone makes one which fits the whole of the awning rail as in a conventional awning.  We found with our porch that it was impossible to anchor the uprights to the side of the van and then, in strong wind, the noise was awful.

IanH replied on 12/11/2016 19:32

Posted on 12/11/2016 19:32

We have a Thule roll out canopy and, frankly, find it to be a waste of time and money.

It provides virtually no shade, because the sun just shines underneath it. As you say, it's sometimes possible to get out of the sun if pressed up against the caravan, but rarely so.

It cannot be left out if there is the slightest breeze, because it will blow over the caravan in a light wind and will damage both caravan and canopy, unless really well strapped down. I would never leave it unattended.

Putting it out and putting it away is a two person job and one of you needs to be very tall while the other just about manages with the caravan step.

All in all.......I wouldn't bother.

We took it with us once this year and even then it never came out of its bag.

Tammygirl replied on 12/11/2016 20:07

Posted on 12/11/2016 20:07

We have a Fiamma canopy, yes it is a M/H but caravans can have them fitted. I'm not surprised by the comments about the sun coming under the canopy, we also suffer from this but usually only very late in the day when the sun is low or at the back end of the year. We have a piece of cloth that slides along the front edge and hangs down, it doesn't need to be long just a couple of feet but it really makes a differance, I would look at making /buying something like that. We also have the same that fit at the sides, again if you are side on to the sun this gives you lots more shade.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook