Solar Panels to top up battery

janemalky replied on 23/02/2012 12:08

Posted on 23/02/2012 12:08

Hi all,Has anyone any advice on buying a solar panel that will top up battery for a week on a CL site please. Dont want to spend a lot on it but dont know where to start...there seems to be a few on ebay around 50 quid, was wondering if anyone has any techy info on them and how to choose one?

kenneth600 replied on 21/03/2018 17:35

Posted on 21/03/2018 17:35

hi all, just need sum help and advice .we have just purchased a new caravan that as come with a tracker fitted . the caravan is in storage the tracker company ring me telling me that the battery is low so to keep battery topped up i need a solar panel but needs to be over 75 watts  and keep it in the van and not outside can anyone help me out sum advice many thanks

cyberyacht replied on 21/03/2018 17:38

Posted on 21/03/2018 17:38

If you are going to fit one, get a decent sized job, say 150Watt out so and fit it on the roof.

Bakers2 replied on 21/03/2018 18:03

Posted on 21/03/2018 18:03

This thread, although lengthy, has great info.

https://www.caravanclub.co.uk/club-together/discussions/welcome-hobby-talk/tips-for-making-caravanning-touring-cheaper/how-to-survive-a-non-240v-ehu-site/

We have a solar panel which trickles to the engine battery too. A great boon,  just back from 3 months in NZ despite the bitter temperatures here in our absence, started immediately. Habitation battery does well too 😉

Boff replied on 21/03/2018 19:24

Posted on 21/03/2018 17:38 by cyberyacht

If you are going to fit one, get a decent sized job, say 150Watt out so and fit it on the roof.

Posted on 21/03/2018 19:24

This is I believe the correct answer.   It is as simply to fit a large panel as a small one.  So you might as well.  For the record I bought a 150W panel a couple of years ago it cost £130 a Morningstar controller and display £150, you can get controllers much cheaper btw.  Mounts cable adhesive another £60 or so.  Just sits on the roof keeping the battery charged.   Panels are pretty well commodities these days.  So don’t buy one from your friendly caravan dealer.   Don’t pay the inflated price for a Truma one either. 

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook