Snooper CC edition Satnav problem

JamboJack replied on 10/08/2017 22:52

Posted on 10/08/2017 22:52

I have had the Snooper S6800 Satnav for two years and it has always had problems, it was replaced in the first year then the replacement started dying after 2 hours use, Snooper have been very good with advice and sending out replacement car charger etc, but when I sent it back recently with the same fault they are saying it's beyond economical repair, They did offer a new one at discount which meantnI would have spent £600 for a Satnav!  Capital Outdoors have said its nothing to do with them as its out of guarantee  ( not correct according  to CAB though). When I contacted the Club they were sympathetic but said to contact the manufacturers ( keep going round in circles) It's annoying that such an expensive unit sold under the club auspices should be useless after a couple of years. Anybody else had a similar experience with this Satnav and if so how did you resolve it? 

ccmbritain replied on 19/06/2018 14:05

Posted on 19/06/2018 14:05

I'm having the very same problems with shutting down.  On a trip last year it refused to play, so navigation was via a mobile phone!  I've bought a Garmin now and it is nice to drive with, but a pain to find camper stops or camp sites for motorhomes.  It would be nice to fix it, seeing how expensive it was.

commeyras replied on 19/06/2018 14:30

Posted on 19/06/2018 14:30

Jambo, it is up to the retailer to sort out any problem you may have NOT the manufacturer or the Club.  Your rights under  Cosumer Protection legislation are much stronger than any guarantee and you would expect the goods to be of mercantible quality and to last a 'reasonable' time. A supplier will always say 'sorry out of guarantee'  either out of ignorance of your rights or to save money/hastle  If you paid for it using a Credit Card then the Card company are equally responsible/liable and it may be worthwhile speaking to them and asking them to refund the total cost of a replacement. There are sample letters to send to the supplier on the web quoting this and asking for a replacement free of charge.  Ultimately you of course have redress at the Small Claims Court but in the first instance I would contact the CAB for advice.

JamboJack replied on 19/06/2018 21:54

Posted on 19/06/2018 21:54

Comeyras - as i said in post I have contacted the CAB and Capital, but as I have already had a replacement that muddy so the waters so to speak,according to the CAB, being in Scotland the court proceeding are a bit different too, I was more interested in finding out if there was an inherent fault with this model, which would have strengthened the argument , but going by the amount of non interest, I assume mine is a one off complaint. 

JamboJack replied on 19/06/2018 21:58

Posted on 19/06/2018 14:05 by ccmbritain

I'm having the very same problems with shutting down.  On a trip last year it refused to play, so navigation was via a mobile phone!  I've bought a Garmin now and it is nice to drive with, but a pain to find camper stops or camp sites for motorhomes.  It would be nice to fix it, seeing how expensive it was.

Posted on 19/06/2018 21:58

Did you send it back? I have just got fed up with it and now use my old Blaupunct as Satnav doubles as reversing camera. 

Dewi34 replied on 30/06/2018 11:49

Posted on 30/06/2018 11:49

This is obviously a common fault. I got an exchange unit 2 Jan 2016 for exactly the same problem.

It died again in October in the middle of nowhere and hasn't been reliable since.

At the NEC in October I met somebody else with the same issue at the Snooper stand, but the Snooper people claimed to know nothing about it.

I think basically the unit is underpowered.

I'm considering now just scrapping it, but it's a shame as the POIs etc. are excellent. I also like the vehicle size feature.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook