Smelly Groundsheet.

Phil n Tracy replied on 26/08/2020 19:36

Posted on 26/08/2020 19:36

We have a groundsheet that smells like cat whistle. We've scrubbed it with Zoflora and jet washed it and it stinks. It is about the 3rd breathable groundsheet we have had and I don't want to buy another... How does everyone clean theirs? Just for info... We do not have a cat... 

lornalou1 replied on 27/08/2020 14:06

Posted on 27/08/2020 14:06

Probably because it's being folded up whilst still damp/wet. Try soaking with bleach for 24hrs and then a good jetwash. 

Phil n Tracy replied on 27/08/2020 14:36

Posted on 27/08/2020 14:36

Thank you, but already Zoflora and jet washed it. It is now hanging on the line in the rain. Reading the older posts people seem to think it's an animal issue... It can't be. This is our 3rd g groundsheet we have bought because we can't get rid of the smell. If it is due to damp (highly likely and we had put it in airing cupboard to dry completely) then it seems that this type of groundsheet cannot cope with damp grass. Maybe we need to buy the rubber breathable groundsheet. 

lornalou1 replied on 27/08/2020 20:32

Posted on 27/08/2020 20:32

Would it be worth putting the rubber pads down first (like a jigsaw) and laying the carpet over the top. 

Zoflora is a disinfectant not a bleach. 

Phishing replied on 27/08/2020 22:45

Posted on 27/08/2020 22:45

It is possibly off-gassing. They are made of polymers that will under the right conditions produce gas that smells bad. You can clean as much as you want it wont stop it. Leave it out in the sun to bake, this ages the material but drives out the nasties.  

Also, on grass if it does not breathe very well the grass breaking down is pretty pungent and happens very quickly as soon as it starts to sweat.

Also, the other poster with the same problem has a Kampa carpet, if yours is the same make and type then I would suggest that the maker has  got the polymer chemistry wrong and this is causing the smell.

ratty358 replied on 11/01/2021 16:03

Posted on 11/01/2021 16:03

I am looking for a groundsheet to put outside the door of my motorhome so I can wipe dogs feet and remove my boots before entering. 

was wanting to know what everyone uses. Theres the woven ones that don't encourage worms etc. It's got to be breathable. 

It will be outside in what ever weather with no shelter. 

What do you all suggest.

Takethedogalong replied on 11/01/2021 16:35

Posted on 11/01/2021 16:35

Aldi. Cheap jigsaw like mats, think they are sold in packs of 8-9, so you can link together to create whatever size you need. We usually carry four for what you describe, just outside MH door. Can be washed off easily. Had ours some six years now, little damage, super lightweight, cheap to buy. Left out, used on grass and gravel.

replied on 11/01/2021 17:57

Posted on 11/01/2021 16:35 by Takethedogalong

Aldi. Cheap jigsaw like mats, think they are sold in packs of 8-9, so you can link together to create whatever size you need. We usually carry four for what you describe, just outside MH door. Can be washed off easily. Had ours some six years now, little damage, super lightweight, cheap to buy. Left out, used on grass and gravel.

Posted on 11/01/2021 17:57

The user and all related content has been Deleted User

Takethedogalong replied on 11/01/2021 19:48

Posted on 11/01/2021 19:48

They are colourful😁 I think the Aldi ones are either green, blue or black. Good to walk on though. We had to use them for dogs when staying at YRP, horrible pitch surface there, some of clippings are ankle rolling size.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook