Sleeping Bag Advice

pscullion replied on 25/08/2017 11:52

Posted on 25/08/2017 11:52

Looking for Sleeping Bag recommendations. Doing some research, a lot of sleeping bags are aimed at camping and tents and offer wonderfully high tog ratings, or features showing how good they are at keeping you warm in -10 to +5 type temperatures. Funnily enough, I don't like to run my van at that temp while on holiday! A significant benefit of a van over a tent is the heater and walls! I am looking for something which doesn't do these extreme temps as I won't need them

Any recommendations? In the ideal world I am after the following: Two large sleeping bags which can be zipped together. My reasoning is:

1: I am not a fan of sleeping on the chairs in the van - I don't find them wide enough because I move around in my sleep, therefore we make up the bed each night.

2: The bed is very comfortable - I don't need a duvalay

3: Having sleeping bag avoids the need to tuck in a sheet over the bed first which is hassle.

Any suggestions gratefully received. 

thanks

ForestR replied on 25/08/2017 12:39

Posted on 25/08/2017 12:39

We  use duvets rather than sleeping bags because it's easy to wash just the covers regularly. We have two different tog rating duvets a 4.5 & 13.5 which means we can use one as a base and one on top depending on the outside temperature.

replied on 25/08/2017 12:43

Posted on 25/08/2017 12:43

Different situation for us. Front Singles are 29'' wide and very comfortable. 

With regard to finding a sleeping bag I found it hard to find one for OH. We want poly cotton inside and nylon outside and, like you, light weight. I found mine in a caravan dealers as I did not want a larger size. Finding a lightweight larger size to meet the other criteria took a lot of web surfing. Found OH's at Outwell .com.  Mine is a Colemans.

We do not require to zip together but if we did that was another factor missing on many sleeping bags that met our criteria.

Good luck

Pippin replied on 25/08/2017 17:04

Posted on 25/08/2017 17:04

We have used sleeping bags for the past 60 years on our boats, motorhomes and now in the caravan.   The original were Black's Icelandic Specials and they lasted 20 yrs.   Vango have taken over from BLack's and still produce a range of sleeping bags.   I would try GO who stock several brands, they have to pack small enough to go under the seats.

Good Luck

replied on 25/08/2017 17:32

Posted on 25/08/2017 17:32

When we made up a double in previous caravan we used a duvet. For a double that would always be my choice. We are however away for up to 7 weeks at a time. 

Bakers2 replied on 25/08/2017 21:33

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:33

We use a duvet and zip fitted sheets on mattress topper. If your Base is comfy I'd agree with a summer duvet as the Base. Saves on tucking, would a fitted sheet work? Not particularly looked a sleeping bags recently but when I have looked the idea of zipping them together appears out of fashion!

JVB66 replied on 25/08/2017 21:43

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:43

We use double duvets one each if sleeping..singly (more often nowundecided) or if as a doubletongue-out one as base the other over ussmile

brue replied on 25/08/2017 21:57

Posted on 25/08/2017 21:57

We use these, made by Coleman. They are very roomy, very soft and cosy and are a medium weight. They can also be linked together. If it's very cold I use a nice thin wool Welsh blanket as an extra layer. smile

The sleeping bag is called Hampton, we use the two singles but there is also a double. We have a friend who is large in stature and he was looking for one that was roomy enough to use without being cramped and we recommended this to him, he's been pleased with the results. Ours came from Amazon.

SEE HERE COLEMAN HAMPTON

We've used duvets in the past but these are fine in our present van.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook