Serviced pitch water 1st time user

Jim and Isa replied on 26/04/2018 10:18

Posted on 26/04/2018 10:18

We have booked a serviced pitch in France this year. 

We are in two minds as to what system to connect to the water supply.

(1) the hose to the auqaroll method with a the ball-cock type valve in the auqaroll 

(2) the Whale system that connects directly to the inlet on the outside of the caravan ( you know what I mean I am sure).

We have to take the aqua roll with us to use on stop overs/other sites so cant leave that at home.

Also the Whale system comes with 7.5m of hose which seems a bit short to me.

I would appreciate the benefit of anyone experience with these systems 

KeefySher replied on 26/04/2018 11:06

Posted on 26/04/2018 11:06

We use your option 2, but the Truma version with a much longer hose when on a serviced pitch and some CLs. 

You might want to give consideration to drainage too, in which case this article may help:

https://caravanchronicles.com/2013/05/26/connecting-your-drainage-on-serviced-pitches/

The 2 lengths of pipe, one fitted inside the other live attached to the chassis leg behind the axle. A bag of fittings live in the front locker. The pipe prevents build up of grease, soap fat etc that gets in the corrugations of the flexible pipe often used.

This system has worked well for us over the 3 seasons of our caravan use with no flooding or waste spills.

Jim and Isa replied on 26/04/2018 13:43

Posted on 26/04/2018 13:43

Thanks for that and what a great article you have posted .... very good idea and useful to see how versatile your system is.... going to use a rigid waste system for sure. 

thank you for very prompt reply

KjellNN replied on 26/04/2018 13:53

Posted on 26/04/2018 13:53

We also use rigid waste pipes, but for water we use the "via the aquaroll" method as we prefer not to have to trust  a pressure reducer.

Cornersteady replied on 26/04/2018 14:20

Posted on 26/04/2018 14:20

we use the aquaroll  route, on the basis that you will have to have it with you anyway, possible problems with pressure as K said, but also if your pitch supply fails (and it will fail at the most inconvenient time like at night when it's raining) at least you'll have half an aquaroll to keep you supplied.

Yes you may want to buy an additional blue hose, I would advise the roll flat pack type as it takes up less space.

Also have a number of different connectors with you for tap and in hose. Even on club sites there are different connections to the pitch supply and some distance to your aquaroll.  

Jim and Isa replied on 27/04/2018 08:15

Posted on 26/04/2018 13:53 by KjellNN

We also use rigid waste pipes, but for water we use the "via the aquaroll" method as we prefer not to have to trust  a pressure reducer.

Posted on 27/04/2018 08:15

Does the "ball cock" valve work well? 

I think I will go for this option because my aquaroll will just be lying empty and i would probable have to store it in the awning or in the boot of the car.

defo rigid for the waste .... good advice from felllow members

SteveL replied on 27/04/2018 08:20

Posted on 27/04/2018 08:15 by Jim and Isa

Does the "ball cock" valve work well? 

I think I will go for this option because my aquaroll will just be lying empty and i would probable have to store it in the awning or in the boot of the car.

defo rigid for the waste .... good advice from felllow members

Posted on 27/04/2018 08:20

Yes it does as long as you make sure your aqua roll filler tube and connected filter / pump, depending on set up, does not foul it. When we first started had a couple of occasions where we were overflowing onto the pitch. Now make sure it is well out of the way.

Cornersteady replied on 27/04/2018 18:28

Posted on 27/04/2018 08:20 by SteveL

Yes it does as long as you make sure your aqua roll filler tube and connected filter / pump, depending on set up, does not foul it. When we first started had a couple of occasions where we were overflowing onto the pitch. Now make sure it is well out of the way.

Posted on 27/04/2018 18:28

Yes as for Steve. Must have used it hundreds of occasions since we got it in 2002 and yes it's the same one. We got the aquaroll make, now there are others.

MDD10 replied on 28/04/2018 18:29

Posted on 28/04/2018 18:29

I used to use the ball valve method but it was a fad as the pipe going in the barrel often obstructed the ball and also it often leaked from the seal in the side of the barrel. However it was ok

i bought a new van and it came with the pipe and pressure reduced.  I am completely converted and find it great and wouldn’t go back to using a ball valve, especially abroad as the water can get very warm if stood for a little while, whereas it is cold with the direct feed after the initial run off

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook