Second hand Alko wheel lock

Pippy Louey replied on 31/05/2018 10:15

Posted on 31/05/2018 10:15

Just researching before I purchase, we have had a Nemesis wheel lock for our Baileys that has been a bit of a mare to get on and to sometimes get off and yesterday a ball bearing dropped off of it and I told hubby not to put it on because common sense just told me it just doesn't seem to be working right and I am worried it will get stuck on there before we go on holiday, plus hubby rants every time he tries to fix it on (bless men!) anyway I am looking to get an Alko Wheel lock and have done my research with insurance company, size and fitting etc., but was drawn to EBay second hand ones. They have all the bits including 2 keys but most of the ones that are in good condition don't have the registration card, so if you lose both keys you can't get new ones but I'm thinking at £85 ish pounds, if I was so unfortunate to lose both keys I could just buy another 2nd hand wheel lock anyway and still be quids in. So just checking that there is no drawback to buying secondhand on wheel locks.

Large tax bill, adoption fee, two weeks of holiday coming up and self employed, two new tyres on the car and a caravan service is the reason I am careful with money and looking at secondhand and not new. 

SteveL replied on 31/05/2018 10:30

Posted on 31/05/2018 10:30

As you say, it would be unfortunate and unlikely to loose both keys. However, in the event the law of sod is activated and the wheel lock is on the van🤔

Navigateur replied on 31/05/2018 11:17

Posted on 31/05/2018 11:17

No problem with a (or two) second hand ones.  They are easy to fit.

I got two with my current caravan but only one key each, so I just bought two new inserts with keys from Al-Ko, and registration, etc.

cyberyacht replied on 31/05/2018 19:42

Posted on 31/05/2018 19:42

If you have one key, can you not get another copied in the event that you lost one. They, unlike car keys, are just keys not mini computers.

LEON replied on 01/06/2018 07:54

Posted on 01/06/2018 07:54

You can get new key barrels for the Nemesis locks, £50.00 ish.

Really easy to change and 2 new keys supplied

mendipwalker replied on 03/06/2018 22:28

Posted on 03/06/2018 22:28

The Alko solid wheel lock can be a bit awkward to fit, wheel has to be exactly in right place!

The club insurers may still require it to be registered with Alko, awkward if 2nd hand off ebay (or like mine from carboot sale) There are local locksmiths that will cut copy keys

It is secure!!

Incidentally I recently saw a nice new Nemesis clamp assembly on a decaying roadside wreck and thought that clamp was worth more than the tourer :-)

bluerocket5 replied on 03/06/2018 23:03

Posted on 03/06/2018 23:03

Hi 

I have bought 2 alko wheel locks off eBay for caravans I've had over last 3 yrs  paid £110 for latest, but all  have had 2 keys I've had no problems with them so go for it, why pay more when you don't need to

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook