Sawiko Bike Rack

Prescot46 replied on 11/03/2020 12:09

Posted on 11/03/2020 12:09

Has anyone got experience of the Sawiko VELO III bike rack advertised by Alko.?

I have a Bailey Advance motorhome where because of the design & construction of the rear panel,  the bike rack is very high on the back.  I have a standard Fiamma rack fitted but its location makes it very difficult to lift an e-bike up that high - almost shoulder height - and when the bikes are loaded the rear camera is obscured.

The VELO III is said to be purposely designed for e-bikes and it is fitted to the chassis members at the back, which would spread the weight and requires the bikes to be lifted only a few feet.   I have considered fitting a tow-bar and using a tow-ball mounted bike rack.  However, this seems to concentrate all the weight at a single point.

Any thoughts?

DavidKlyne replied on 11/03/2020 14:32

Posted on 11/03/2020 14:32

Prescot46

I have the same issue with my Bailey Alliance 66-2. The chassis mounted bike racks do seem much more substantial than the Fiamma racks. If you would have a need for a towball then perhaps that might be the way to go. The towball mounted racks are very popular both here and in Europe. Providing they are designed to take the weight there should not be a problem. If you decide to go for a chassis mounted rack have you seen what is available from Road Pro in Daventry? They have similar racks, made I believe in Holland. We have not decided whether we will be taking our bikes away in the van yet so have not had a rack fitted.

David

young thomas replied on 11/03/2020 14:35

Posted on 11/03/2020 14:35

the single point being your rear axle.....what size Advance do you have.

any van over 7m (and some are 7.6m) takes care to run comfortably at  3500kg (whatever the quoted payload on the website).

load the OH and fill the water tank (why would Baily suggest you run with it empty?....its a MH...) and youve lost 175kg or so...

add the weight of the Velo to the two ebikes and there is another 70kg gone...and that rack, hanging out the rear will apply around 100kg to the rear axle, not 70. 

so, 250 off the payload is a fair chunk, enough to focus the mind into weighing the van fully loaded (with clothes, oh, water, fuel, gas, all camping kit etc, etc and understanding the current loading on the rear axle so as to be sure there is capacity for the bikes and the rack.

good luck.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook