Satellite Dish problems

richardandros replied on 07/04/2023 12:50

Posted on 07/04/2023 12:50

I am hoping someone can point me in the right direction!!smile

I have a flat satellite dish - bought some years ago but only used occasionally.  Don't know what make it is - there's no identification on it but photo below gives you an idea of what it looks like.  Was working OK last year as far as I can remember. The dish has "Easyfind" technology and works in conjunction with our Avtex DRS TV.

We are currently on a CS near Malton - normal digital signal is rubbish (probably due to Bilsdale still not being fully operational) - hence the satellite dish.

Although it has found the Astra 2 satellite - I couldn't get any channels at all despite the info in the setup programme telling me it was locked onto Astra 2.

The only message I got on screen was "No - signal - Retune".  I wasn't previously aware that that was an option with satellite channels - but I did it and it found over 130 channels.  Trouble was - after I eventually found them - starting at Channel 100+ (nothing before that) - they were all German programmes!!!!  Perfect reception, though - but since I don't speak German - not a lot of use to me.

Can anyone tell me what's gone wrong - or, more likely - what have I done wrong????

Many thanks

Richard

(I'm hoping, perhaps, peedee will be able to put me right given his previous excellent knowledge of matters satellite!)

Vulcan replied on 07/04/2023 13:28

Posted on 07/04/2023 13:28

If they are all German channels it must be locked on Astra1 at 19.2. If you have not got a manual sat meter all I can suggest is to move the dish very very slowly further east (approx 10 deg) whilst watching the screen, the next strongest signal should be Astra 2 at 28.2 deg.

If you are lucky enough to find it fine tune the elevation.

richardandros replied on 07/04/2023 14:59

Posted on 07/04/2023 13:28 by Vulcan

If they are all German channels it must be locked on Astra1 at 19.2. If you have not got a manual sat meter all I can suggest is to move the dish very very slowly further east (approx 10 deg) whilst watching the screen, the next strongest signal should be Astra 2 at 28.2 deg.

If you are lucky enough to find it fine tune the elevation.

Posted on 07/04/2023 14:59

Thanks Vulcan - but according to the settings menu on the Avtex TV, it says it is tuned into Astra 2 at 28.2 E. That’s what confusing me.

The Easyfind system has, in effect, its own satmeter with a digital display and set of illuminated neon lights. You get a green light when it’s locked on.

DavidKlyne replied on 07/04/2023 17:48

Posted on 07/04/2023 14:59 by richardandros

Thanks Vulcan - but according to the settings menu on the Avtex TV, it says it is tuned into Astra 2 at 28.2 E. That’s what confusing me.

The Easyfind system has, in effect, its own satmeter with a digital display and set of illuminated neon lights. You get a green light when it’s locked on.

Posted on 07/04/2023 17:48

I think I would ignore the neon lights and and try Vulcan's suggestion. If the dish has previously been tuned to the UK channels by moving the dish you may find they suddenly burst into life. then it's just a case manual fine tuning. If the TV has previously not been tuned to UK programmes surely by moving the dish the neon light would again show green again when it finds the next signal?  Had much fun and games years ago when abroad usually found the German and Dutch channels before the English! 

David

peedee replied on 07/04/2023 19:51

Posted on 07/04/2023 19:51

As Vulcan points out you are certainly locked onto Astra 1. This fact will have nothing to do with the Avtex but will be down to what the dish has been set up to track. If there is no obvious way of selecting which satellite to track, switch the dish off and then on again and see if it will lock onto Astra 2. If you have retuned the Avtex to get all the German channels the chances are you may have to retune again when you think you have locked onto Astra 2 in order to receive the UK channels.

If you know how to look at the transponder signal levels on your Avtex, set it to show 12070Ghz. When you see a signal on that you will know you have Astra 2. You can use other frequencies as long as you know they are used by Astra 2.

peedee

eribaMotters replied on 07/04/2023 19:57

Posted on 07/04/2023 19:57

I also have an Avtex DRS TV and like it.

I initially had a manual tune Mutimo dish. I used this in France where I set the elevation, pointed it East and then swung it around towards South-East. The first satellite it picked up would give European channels, and then a little further and it picked up Astra 2 and UK channels. The margin was fairly close and it was easy to choose the wrong satellite.

I then moved on to a self seeking Snipe. This was a a wonderful piece of kit that punched above its size picking up Astra 2 well down into the Dordogne. It did go astray though in 2022 as I had not updated the software and it was out of sink with the satellites locations. I don't know how your Easyfind technology works, but if it has a software side to it then I'd update it.

Colin

peedee replied on 07/04/2023 20:14

Posted on 07/04/2023 20:14

The BBC and ITV have certainly been mucking about with their channels, closing down many of the SD ones. If your dish has been set up to track on any of the closed or reconfigured transponders as a result of these changes, this may be your problem and you will need to get it updated. I would first try and see if you can get it to lock on to Astra 2 by switching it on and off.

peedee

old ludlovian replied on 08/04/2023 00:23

Posted on 08/04/2023 00:23

My mate had same problem with a avtex tv we got around this by using the dish to find signal then disconnected from tv connected free to a view hd sat box  works for him every time hope this helps

richardandros replied on 08/04/2023 05:58

Posted on 08/04/2023 05:58

Thanks all - and peedee in particular.  I thought you might be able to help. I will try again later today. What is throwing me is that when I went into advanced settings on the TV, it was definitely telling me that I was locked onto Astra 2 at 28.2 degrees E. but I will check again.

The dish must be about 8 years old although only used a few times when the terrestrial signal has been poor. I had, at the back of my mind, previous discussions about changes to Astra 2 and suspect it might need a software update. Trouble is, I haven't a clue where I bought it from - or even what make it is. The nearest I can find is a "Selfsat H30D2" on eBay but that has the name on the front face, whereas mine has nothing and I thought I paid a lot more for mine than that one.

Can anyone suggest how I update the software, if that's what's required?

Thanks - Richard.

peedee replied on 08/04/2023 07:54

Posted on 08/04/2023 07:54

It starts to get quite complicated beyond what I have said. Does  >this< help? My dish is programed to lock on to either Astra 1 or 2 but I have a very old Avtex and the pre-programed transponders on it are way out of date and I have never managed to make it work successfully on mine. I also suspect the Avtex memory has its limitations in being able to store all the FTA channels from both satellites.

Try giving Avtex a call for advice, I have found them helpfull in the past.

peedee

richardandros replied on 08/04/2023 16:49

Posted on 08/04/2023 16:49

Thanks to all - and particularly peedee - it’s now working. Tried finding the satellite again - and then re-tuned and all ok. What I don’t understand is what I have done differently this time. Despite all the evidence pointing to being locked onto Astra 1, the Avtex said it was tuned into 2 at 28.2E. One thing I did notice was that to start with it was picking up frequencies lower down the scale and then it jumped up to 27500 MHz and stayed there. Don’t understand??????

Anyway - all now sorted - so thanks to you all. Ros now happy that she can get her regular BBC news fix (but I’m at a loss to know why😃)

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook