Reich wheel weighing scales

Snapperpete replied on 08/02/2016 13:03

Posted on 08/02/2016 13:03

Hi, has anyone used a Reich weighing scale to check the weight of their motorhome? From what I've read so far it seems you lay it on a flat surface and drive over it one wheel at a time in a specific order, it then calculates the total but displays the weights for each wheel, each axle and the total. Question; does it work, is it easy to use and do you believe the readout?

Snapperpete replied on 08/02/2016 14:02

Posted on 08/02/2016 14:02

Wow Huskydog, I'd never have thought of that! Seriously though, the nearest weighbridge to me is a 30 mile round trip and the charge is £25.00 for the first reading plus £10.00 per additional reading so very expensive to get 4 seperate wheels weighed which is what I need for tyre load calculations. Also, believe it or not I have some friends with motorhomes and we share some equipment between us so cost isn't really relevent, the question remains, is it any good?

jeffcc replied on 08/02/2016 14:26

Posted on 08/02/2016 14:26

Hi Sp i use the lower weight 1000kg model for my caravan, and being a belt and braces person before i used it i took the van to my local weigh bridge and then weighed it at home with the reich, It was spot on, the only down side is it a two person job as it is difficult to see when the wheels are central on the scales. Hope that helpsSmile. Use left and right arrows to navigate.

JVB66 replied on 08/02/2016 14:33

Posted on 08/02/2016 14:33

We have a reich 1000kg and use it after a "reshuffle"  or long trip loadingWink in our c/van, it gives seperate weights of each wheel and jockey wheel,then max load

Snapperpete replied on 08/02/2016 20:31

Posted on 08/02/2016 20:31

Thanks Jeff and JVB66, nothing negative reported so that confirms the article in the magazine I read. I'll see if I can get one at the NEC show later this month.

peedee replied on 09/02/2016 07:08

Posted on 09/02/2016 07:08

I take mine to the local weighbridge and have the front and rear axle loads measured and also the gross load. It is very important to have axle readings because it is possible to overload one axle yet still be within the plated gross weight.

If you divide the axle weight by two, that is a good indication of the load on each axle wheel/tyre.

peedee

DavidKlyne replied on 09/02/2016 11:07

Posted on 09/02/2016 11:07

I had a Reich Weight Control when I caravanned. It was useful to establish the side to side weight of the caravan. It wasn't as straightforward to use as you had the have a level firm surface in order to get an accurate reading. It was clever in that it calculated the total weight of the van by taking measurements of both wheels and the jockey wheel. If it was just a case of establishing the noseweight I think I would be inclined to go for the Milenco noseweight gauge.

David

rogher replied on 09/02/2016 12:52

Posted on 09/02/2016 12:52

They are like bathroom scales but for heavier loads. I used one a long time ago to check the weight distribution across a caravan axle. I don’t know how accurate they are but it was OK for comparative tests and easy to use. I’d check that the scale goes high enough for your motorhome, as the one I had was limited to about a tonne, and I don’t think a double rear axle would work with one.

Snapperpete replied on 09/02/2016 17:24

Posted on 09/02/2016 17:24

Thanks again Guys but I have to disagree with peedee. My van sagged on the rear offisde, a suspension check revealed no faults so I had air suspension added and by running suspension pressures differently I can level the van. So far so good. I next fitted a Tyrepal system, All 4 tyres (which are new) start a journey at correct pressure and 3 rise by about 5-6psi after about 10 miles then remain constant, the rear offisde rises by 10 -15psi which trips the Tyrepal alarm, a worrying situation. The temperature of this tyre also rises by several degrees more than the other 3 so I suspect that the weight carried by this wheel is disproportionate. The layout of the van somewhat lends itself to this theory as well but I want to know how much inbalance there is so weighing each wheel is the only way forward. If anyone has any thoughts about tyre pressures/temperatures that might also be of interest. I was very surprised how hot tyres become on a summers day on a motorway at 65mph, a Tyrpal system is an eye-opener! Cheers.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook