Refillable gas bottle dilema

jennyc replied on 08/07/2020 02:15

Posted on 08/07/2020 02:15

We recently needed to replace the 13kg Patio gas bottle which we use for our BBQ at home. Calor’s RRP is £42.50, but the first place that I visited wanted £50 for an exchange. A number of phone calls on my part clarified that many outlets had run out, including Calor themselves, and all were charging more than the RRP. Additionally, since it has become clear that Calor has no intention of exchanging our CalorLite bottles for an upgraded replacement, we are facing increasing difficulty in supplies, as time passes. We’d like to break out of Calor’s stranglehold and switch to a refillable system. Our frequent use of basic sites, without electricity, makes the thought of a fixed installation which requires the caravan to be taken to a forecourt, unappealing. So a removable bottle sounds like what we need - except lots of LPG equipped garages won’t supply gas to them. Now it’s got worse because companies like BP are withdrawing Autogas supplies due to reducing demand brought about by electric vehicles. That means fewer and more widely distributed availability in the future. Switching to an Autogas system involves a capital outlay which could traditionally be recouped, over time, through lower gas prices. But faced as we are, with growing difficulties with supplies, that may not be as practical as it first seems. Do any of our members see a bright side to the dilemma?

peedee replied on 08/07/2020 07:17

Posted on 08/07/2020 07:17

It may well be increasingly difficult to get gas on garage forecourts but I still think that is some way off. There will always be a demand for some for heating etc and it maybe for those who wish to continue using refillable bottles will have to visit the likes of Countrywide, now owned by >Flo Gas< for supplies.

It is probably wise to hedge your bets and install one refillable cylinder alongside an exchangable one with a change over system.

peedee

jennyc replied on 14/07/2020 21:15

Posted on 14/07/2020 21:15

Thanks PD. We’d come to the same bet hedging conclusion. So the plan is to buy one refillable bottle to share between home and the van. It’s not ideal to be shifting it regularly, but our nearest Morrisons Autogas retailer  is 15 minutes away, which is no worse than our nearest CalorLite dealer, when they’ve got them in stock. If we could, we’d run the home BBQ off house gas, but you can’t buy the correctly jetted Weber Q2000 in this country and Weber don’t sell a conversion, even in the US.

eurortraveller replied on 15/07/2020 09:43

Posted on 15/07/2020 09:43

I'm a wimp. I don't carry 13 kg gas bottles around. I don't go searching to buy them either. Flogas come to me and charge £38, delivered free, for that size of refill, either propane or butane. Lazy way !

ADP1963 replied on 15/07/2020 12:00

Posted on 15/07/2020 12:00

I purchased yesterday from Arrow Plant Hire ,Leominster,Herefordshire a new Calorlite Propane @ £25.70. I asked if they were still in demand  and the answer was yes, but we have plenty. 

cyberyacht replied on 15/07/2020 18:24

Posted on 15/07/2020 18:24

That's £2.33 per litre. Autogas is about 65p per litre. How much gas do you get through and then work out what not getting refillable is costing you.

dave the rave replied on 15/07/2020 19:38

Posted on 15/07/2020 19:38

I have a 10kg fibre glass bottle (now Flo-gas).My nearest supplier for refills is Homebase.£50 for a refilled bottle  =£5.00 per kilo.Flogas dealers are a bit cheaper but most do not seem to stock the fibreglass cylinders!So the saving in weight costs quite a lot of money.....one could say it is as big a "con" as calors Patio gas ...which costs more than a standard propane red bottle for some unknown reason!

ADP1963 replied on 15/07/2020 20:01

Posted on 15/07/2020 20:01

Cyberyacht that Propane bottle will last me another 2 years at least. We use the Caravan throughout the winter, on various occasions. As the sites we use have Electric Hookups and we eat out mostly and Salads don't take a lot of cooking, it would be false economy to be buying a new system. Being close to Four Score age wise I think we will continue in the same vein of Caravaning that we have done in the last 42 years. I am sure we will get the hang of it one day.........but thanks for your concern of my financies.  winksmile

JollyKernow replied on 15/07/2020 20:28

Posted on 15/07/2020 20:28

Hi

So, it's a balance between the initial cost of a refillable install, the amount of gas used per annum versus the price of an exchange.

An example. In 2008 I installed a full Gaslow system, I think it was around £450 then. The plan was to tour the UK and Europe mostly off grid and save a shed load on gas which would repay the outlay in 2 years. The reality was with touring UK and France, then getting employed by the club in 2010 meant that I'd saved £40 on pump price gas. Even using gas on rest days for the next 3 years when I sold the van I only recouped £55. So I ended up £400 out of pocket. If I'd had used Calor exchange bottles during that time I would have been £300+ better off against the refillable install. Just my take and situation. If you only use say 15kg of gas per year, best to suck up Calor's rip off prices?

Cheers

JK

peedee replied on 16/07/2020 08:02

Posted on 16/07/2020 08:02

Don't forget the convenience factor JK of not having to heave heavy bottles about and being able to top up anywhere on the Continent. Single refillable bottle installations alongside a replacable bottle works well and is much cheaper. I put such a system in my first van for about £120 but my current van came with twin refillables which I think is not quite so convenient.

peedee

SteveL replied on 16/07/2020 08:29

Posted on 16/07/2020 08:02 by peedee

Don't forget the convenience factor JK of not having to heave heavy bottles about and being able to top up anywhere on the Continent. Single refillable bottle installations alongside a replacable bottle works well and is much cheaper. I put such a system in my first van for about £120 but my current van came with twin refillables which I think is not quite so convenient.

peedee

Posted on 16/07/2020 08:29

The convenience was certainly the reason we had a refillable system installed. Our saving in the first year was like JK about £40. In general I don't see that changing dramatically, although this year will be much less as we are not going to France and using Aires. We don't intend replacing the MH though, which we will hopefully use for another 10 to 15 years. By which time I will certainly be past lifting heavy gas bottles.😂

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook