Recommended generators for caravans

The Steve Barlow replied on 27/05/2019 14:17

Posted on 27/05/2019 14:17

I'm buying some land shortly & plan to move on with my caravan to start.

Over time I'll get into building a solar panel set up but in the meantime I'd appreciate any advice or links as to what would be the best type / style of generator.

I would need something that could power a 32" TV and a 22" monitor, boil a kettle (one cups worth) around 10 times per day, run a shower once per day, charge power tools, laptop, lights etc and possibly run the vans heating & fridge, although gas may well be a better / cheaper option for these two?

The generator would have to sit outside the caravan and I'd like something that can auto start or start by remote, don't want to have to keep going out to switch it on & off.

I'm not brill with wattage, voltage so thus this question, appreciate any help. Thanks.

lornalou1 replied on 27/05/2019 15:40

Posted on 27/05/2019 15:40

Wow, you don't want much, auto start?? You will get an electric start Genny but autoundecided. TV's don't take much power, I have a 50" at home but only 90watt. just think of your van onsite fed by 16amp supply and get a generator which will supply the same. showers don't run on mains but 12v pump as its the water you need to heat which could use gas. get a low watt kettle 1000w. A silent diesel one will be cheaper to run but cost you more to purchase.

derekcyril replied on 27/05/2019 16:45

Posted on 27/05/2019 16:45

Dont know if youve got neighbours , but diesel gennies are bloody loud ..Might be worth investing in honda genny .not cheap , Or go for battery bank ,cheap 2 stroke genny ,run during day . No noise at night , Good luck

lornalou1 replied on 27/05/2019 20:08

Posted on 27/05/2019 16:45 by derekcyril

Dont know if youve got neighbours , but diesel gennies are bloody loud ..Might be worth investing in honda genny .not cheap , Or go for battery bank ,cheap 2 stroke genny ,run during day . No noise at night , Good luck

Posted on 27/05/2019 20:08

you can get 'silent' diesel gennies but cost more. he's buying land so neighbours shouldn't be a problem ( unless it's in the middle of a housing estate ).  a 2 stroke would not be cost efficient or powerful enough.

near Malvern Hills Club Campsite Member photo by Andrew Cole

Book a late escape

There's still availability at many popular UK Club campsites - find your perfect pitch today for a last minute trip!

Book now
Woman sitting in camping chair by Wastwater in the Lake District with her two dogs and picnic blanket

Follow us on Facebook

Follow the Caravan and Motorhome Club via our official Facebook page for latest news, holiday ideas, events, activities and special offers.

Photo of Wast Water, Lake District by Sue Peace
Visit Facebook